Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small upgrade, can PSU handle this?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phaleos

Phaleos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

Hello,

My nephew asked me a few years ago to put together a budget game PC for him, his parents had alrdy bought him a bad GPU sadly and now that GPU is the bottleneck for his system and he wants to replace it and buy a new PC in 2 years so this is only to keep him going for that time so he can run the games of the last 2 years and the next year to come (on low / medium is fine)

This is his current setup:

Case: Cooler Master Silencio (with 2/4 fans)

MPU: ASUS B85M-E

CPU: Intel Core i5 (serie 4) 4400 @3.1 Ghz with Coolermaster Hyper T4 CPU cooler

PSU: Coolermaster GM Series G550

SSD van 126 GB en HDD van 1TB

RAM: 8GB DDR3, Crucial Ballistic Tactical 2x4GB

GPU: ATI RADEON HD 7700

Games he wants to play but cant mostly due the GPU atm:

Reign of Kings

F1 2016

Hitman

Just Cause 3

NFS Rivals

Watch Dogs 2

Fifa 18 (soon)

After searching around a bit I would advise him to get the Geforce GTX 1050 or 1050 ti, although the AMD RX 560 would have been quite a bit cheaper but sadly it doesnt support win 8.1 and there are no drivers available for it.

Main question is, can the current PSU handle the new GPU, specialle the 1050 ti?

Or can u advise me something else?

Second question, should he buy the extra 2 fans for his case and will he be able to reuse that one in 2 years or better to leave it as it is and buy a new case in 2 years? His temps atm are fine so i dont think he really needs it at this time (CPU still only goes 40-45 degrees and GPU 70-75 while gaming)

Jeff

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2017 - 08:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

After searching around a bit I would advise him to get the Geforce GTX 1050 or 1050 ti, although the AMD RX 560 would have been quite a bit cheaper but sadly it doesnt support win 8.1 and there are no drivers available for it.

Main question is, can the current PSU handle the new GPU, specialle the 1050 ti?
Or can u advise me something else?

Second question, should he buy the extra 2 fans for his case and will he be able to reuse that one in 2 years or better to leave it as it is and buy a new case in 2 years? His temps atm are fine so i dont think he really needs it at this time (CPU still only goes 40-45 degrees and GPU 70-75 while gaming)

Jeff

Get RX560 and upgrade to Windows 10, problem solved.

PSU can handle RX560/1050Ti etc fine. I don't think there is real need for more fans.

#3 Phaleos

Phaleos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Can you still upgrade for free and if so how exactly do I do this?

I've never upgraded a windows version, will it keep both versions or just upgrade the current one and will all his files, documents and programs transfer?

Not sure if he wants to upgrade though, is win 10 very diffrend from 8.1, im still using win 7.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

https://www.techspot.com/article/1300-windows-10-free-upgrade-loopholes/

It upgrades current one to 10. Files and documents should transfer, still, making backup is advisable. Some programs may not work.

Windows 7 is much better than 10. Windows 10 is better than 8.1.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

Windows 7 is much better than 10. Windows 10 is better than 8.1.

This is subjective. Each Windows version has their pros and cons, as well as people having preferences as to what they want to use. 

Windows 7:

+ Easy to use and familiar

+ Nice start menu with no tiles or games

- Support ends 2020

- No support for newer apis (DirectX12) or newer hardware (Ryzen and Kabylake)

Windows 8.1

+ Supports apps on the windows store

+ Supports UEFI, hybrid boot, and other newer features

- Start menu is hated

- Support ends 2021

Windows 10

+ Supported indefinetly

+ Supports newer apis and hardware

- Auto updates that break things

- Privacy concerns and telemetry

- Installs apps and games to your pc by default

- Microsoft uses it to push advertisements for their products like onedrive, word and cortana.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

Corrections to support times: Windows 7 support ends 2020. Windows 8 2023. Windows 10 2025.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users