Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card crashes, takes many reboots to work again

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gebbo

Gebbo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:23 AM

Operating System

==================
Windows 10

Computer Specs (PSU, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard)
==================
PSU: Corsair CX600, 600W

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.30Ghz, 4 Core

RAM: 8.00 GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3

Speccy Link
==================
N/A

Description of problem
==================
My display freezes the computer becomes unresponsive. When I reboot my computer, I can hear the sounds of the reboot happening, windows chime etc, but there is nothing being displayed on the screen. I have to reboot upwards of 10-30 times before the display happens to work that time. Normally, when I start my computer overnight, it won't work. 10-30 reboots later, the display will randomly work that time and get me into windows. Then in about 2 min, it will crash. Repeat with rebooting 10-30 times with no display, until one time when the display will work. Then after that it will crash once more, repeat the reboot process, and this time the computer will be stable for hours and hours with no issue.

When this issue began
==================
I have had this problem in two periods, both times when I have been playing starcraft 2 regularly on my computer. This could just be a coincidence, but the problem began when there was a major update for the game, and began almost immediately when I reloaded the game recently. Note that the display will crash even when I have not loaded up SC2, even just on the desktop, but it is more frequent in game.

Recurring issue
==================
Yes

Date of purchase
==================
N/A

Under Warranty
==================
No

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue
==================
Playing SC2, or even just booting the computer up after being off overnight.

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue
==================
I have played with various settings in SC2, none have any effect. I have updated all the graphics drivers. I am considering a fresh install of my whole system, but I really want to avoid this, as it will take me ages. I haven't tried uninstalling SC2, because I really love that game, and any solution I want needs to be able to work with that game. Uninstalling would be a pain since my download speeds aren't great, and SC2 is a biggish game.Could it be my power supply is not powerful enough? Could my graphics card be overheating? If its a hardware problem, is the SC2 link just a coincidence? Can a game cause graphical problems when it isn't even loaded up, just on the machine? Could it be a software problem? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

run speccy and post the log here if possible,

could be an overheating issue and speccy will let us see your system temps including the GPU

#3 Gebbo

Gebbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

run speccy and post the log here if possible,

could be an overheating issue and speccy will let us see your system temps including the GPU

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/v5mCbq7qx8x66AXpIuGmHc2

Here is the Speccy link. Everything is fine except the CPU temperature I think. 88 degrees Celsius is quite hot. But, my computer always seems to boot up fine, it's just the display that is not working. So even though the CPU temp needs to sorted, I don't think that is the problem? What do people think?

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

does the computer reboot or shut down by itself at all?

your CPU temp is on the high side, especially if you didnt have any programs running at the time you ran speccy,

i would start with a good cleaning of your CPU fan and cooling/heat sink assembly

#5 Gebbo

Gebbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

does the computer reboot or shut down by itself at all?

your CPU temp is on the high side, especially if you didnt have any programs running at the time you ran speccy,

i would start with a good cleaning of your CPU fan and cooling/heat sink assembly

No, it doesn't reboot. It usually freezes, and then when I manually reboot, the display won't be working. I will try to clean the cpu fan, but I can't see how that would only affect the display, and not stop the normal boot up process which I know is happening, since I can hear the windows start up chime.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

As stated the average temp is very high. My first suspect is the PSU. Corsair is a trusted brand name however the CX series were'nt intended for gaming but for general use type loads.

Edited by HyperHenry, 26 August 2017 - 08:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users