Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to Certain Websites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 palaboyako

palaboyako

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:19 AM

Hi,

Both my laptop (connected via WiFi) and Desktop (via Ethernet) are not able to connect to certain websites. I get either connection timed out or cannot access, etc.

Some websites - www.adobe.com; www.skype.com; www.java.com

Browsers used to check:

Google Chrome (Newly Installed)

Mozilla Firefox (Newly Installed)

Microsoft Edge

Checked on my 2 Android devices connected via WiFi, these websites are accessible.

Troubleshooting performed:

1. winsock reset

2, tcp/ip reset

3. dns flush

4. Ran Malwarebytes on both laptop and desktop, found some and remove them.

5. Restarted both computers, restarted the modem/router

...and I'm still experiencing this issue.

I can't even ping these websites.

I don't know when it started, I only noticed today. As I was trying to update my Adobe software, Java, and Skype.

Desktop OS:

OS Version: 10.0.14393 N/A Build 14393

Laptop OS:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language

OS Version: 10.0.15063 N/A Build 15063

I hope someone can help me with this.

Regards,

Palaboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

could have a ruled created in the firewall or maybe something added those websites to your hosts file.

check your outbound firewall rules in windows firewall or if you have an antivirus managed firewall program check their rules.

also in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\ect look at the hosts file and see if you have a listing like 127.0.0.1 adobe.com or 127.0.0.1 skype.com

127.0.0.1 is a redirect to a non existant place.   usually you see this when your running pirated software (not saying you are) and when the software goes to look for registration information its redirected so it can't give a response that says your software is not valid.

those are where you need to start.

I know avast antivirus has some issues and you may have to create a rule to include some websites that get blocked for no reason.

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

Two of the three sites you mentioned have known security risks so it may be a firewall thing as mightywiz suggested. If this is by any chance a work computer they may be blocked by  the company.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

You've done the first three of this set of commands, might try doing them again in this order and finish up with the winsock reset and see if that fixes it.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users