Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wd Hard Disk Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robi1331

Robi1331

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:41 AM

Hi!
I am having a poblem...
I just bought a new western digital 160 Gb hard disk (WDC WD1600JB-00REA0)
So I installed the disk on my EAC K7S5A PRO mainboard with a duron 1.6 GHz CPU.
The hard disk is the primary slave, the primary master is another Seagate 40 Gb hard disk.
I could only install this way becase the IDE cables were too short to reach to the disk drive from the CD\DVD drive and vicaversa.
Everything went fine, at the first start windows recognised my new hard disk, it promted me that it is ready to be used, but... It won't apear in My computer between my drives, it is listed in the Device Manager but I can't reach it.
I would like to mension, that i have a multi card reader installed as well, a 40 gb hard disk, a DVD-RW, and a CD-witer.
Please help me. Thanks, Robert.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

The IDE hard disks need to be on the same IDE ribbon cable, the master connected to the end of the cable and the slave connected to the middle connection.

The jumpers also need to be set properly.

The optical drives need to be on the second ribbon cable.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:23 AM

Try Disk Management (Start...Run...type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). I suspect that the drive is not partitioned or formatted - and this applet will allow you to partition and then format the drive for use.

This could also be a drive letter conflict - so check in Disk Management to see if there's any duplication of the drive letters. If there is, just change one of them and it should work fine.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users