Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with my computer build

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

Sorry, was offering my usual not-so-subtle rebuttal on Dronemachine's typical bogus mantra rants about claims/inference that a virtually silent Intel build is not viable, despite many of the Ryzen/AM4 rigs using the exact same fans and coolers as socket 1151/2011/2066 rigs.... My 7700K w/Z270 using a Noctua NH-D15 cooler based-build is as near silent as any I've run across.... In his mind, any cooler attached to an Intel cpu with a 91 watt TDP is a virtual hairdryer of a noise-maker as opposed to being attached to a 90 watt TDP 1800X. (Not recommending the 7700K for your usage scenario, merely rebuffing his baseless somewhat biased assertions.... and by somewhat biased, I mean always. He will *always* recommend a $100 more expensive AMD rig and then make excuses/allowances for why it burns more power and is 10-30% slower, gaming- wise. (Despite his claims 3 months ago that ' Ryzen is not a gaming processor', it will always be his choice for anyone, their speed or gaming framerate needs seemingly somewhat forgotten...or disregarded, not sure which.)

Drillingmachine's claims derive from the toothpaste intel uses under their cpu heat spreaders. Delidding the chip and putting good stuff under the IHS yields a 20C difference on the i7 7700k. Yes, you are correct, you could have a silent intel build but the Ryzen 7 1700 is faster multicore than the 7700k, it is cooler (65W tdp vs i7's 91W tdp) and has more upgrade possibilities (am4 will be used until 2020, whereas the intel socket is changed every other year). 

The only thing I would change with Drillingmachine's partlist is to add some quiet fans.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:47 AM

This is what i got now:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LMLs2R

what ya think?

#18 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

Sorry, was offering my usual not-so-subtle rebuttal on Dronemachine's typical bogus mantra rants about claims/inference that a virtually silent Intel build is not viable, despite many of the Ryzen/AM4 rigs using the exact same fans and coolers as socket 1151/2011/2066 rigs.... My 7700K w/Z270 using a Noctua NH-D15 cooler based-build is as near silent as any I've run across.... In his mind, any cooler attached to an Intel cpu with a 91 watt TDP is a virtual hairdryer of a noise-maker as opposed to being attached to a 90 watt TDP 1800X. (Not recommending the 7700K for your usage scenario, merely rebuffing his baseless somewhat biased assertions.... and by somewhat biased, I mean always. He will *always* recommend a $100 more expensive AMD rig and then make excuses/allowances for why it burns more power and is 10-30% slower, gaming- wise. (Despite his claims 3 months ago that ' Ryzen is not a gaming processor', it will always be his choice for anyone, their speed or gaming framerate needs seemingly somewhat forgotten...or disregarded, not sure which.)

There are only two Intel CPU's worth any consideration, everything else are bad buys. Those two CPU's are: i7-7700K due to high clock speed and another is Pentium G4560. Pentium is out of question here so it all comes to 7700K.

7700K and Ryzen 1800X has similar TDP but Ryzen has following advantages:

- Bigger core = bigger area to cool, it's always easier to cool large area than small.

- Ryzen has soldered heatspreader, i7 has toothpaste under heatspreader. This means that heat transfer between CPU and cooler is much worse. In practice, i7-7700K needs much more cooling than i7-7700K and because i7 temperatures fluctuate much more, it also means more stress to motherboard, CPU, PSU etc.

So if you want Silent system, Ryzen is much better choice. Yuo can get 7700K silent too but it just requires more effort.

Ryzen is not made for gaming CPU if "gaming CPU" means running old software that uses 1-2 cores @ 500 FPS. Normal user won't notice any difference between Ryzen 5/7 and 7700K.

This is what i got now:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LMLs2R

what ya think?

Looks good, however I would consider 27 inch monitor and consider also if 144 Hz is necessity.

#19 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

144hz on what?

#20 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

Drillingmachine's claims derive from the toothpaste intel uses under their cpu heat spreaders. Delidding the chip and putting good stuff under the IHS yields a 20C difference on the i7 7700k. Yes, you are correct, you could have a silent intel build but the Ryzen 7 1700 is faster multicore than the 7700k, it is cooler (65W tdp vs i7's 91W tdp) and has more upgrade possibilities (am4 will be used until 2020, whereas the intel socket is changed every other year). 

The only thing I would change with Drillingmachine's partlist is to add some quiet fans.

Is there a single soul out there that truly thinks an R7-1700 is still radiating only 65 watts of dissipated heat once running at 3.9 GHz? (Power draw measurements show the R7-1700/1700X/1800X drawing as much as 250+ watts actual power under Prime95 loads; it might be reasonable to assume the 90 watt TDP estimates of the 1700X/1800X were under stock conditions/clock speeds, and under medium/moderate load. Naturally, the 91 watt TDP of an i7 is no longer valid running it at 5.0 GHz as well)

(no one denies that 8 cores at 3.6 GHz will sometimes outperform half that many cores at 4.2-5.0 GHz in some/many multithreaded tasks)

My issue was his acting as though the assorted Intel rigs were seemingly incapable of being cooled with the exact same quiet coolers used on any AM4 rig, as if the AM4 processors were passively cooled C2000-series CPUs...  Most folks certainly know that delidding often allows cooler temps in a 15C-20C reduction, even if little further OC headroom is achieved. He likes to tout/wave the  the 'solder flag', which raises the Turbo headroom of a flagship R7-1800X from 4.0 GHz to....4.05 GHz? 4.1 GHz? Allowing it to equal the gaming performance of the i5-7400...  Multicore-sensitive uses, Ryzen is great, I recommend it myself often; but, gaming-wise, they are often bested/matched by the stock clocked i5 of 3-4 years ago, and, occasionally, it is matched by on OC'd 2600K.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#21 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:53 PM

144hz on what?

Many monitors support various refresh/sync rates much greater than the standard 60 Hz.

In effect, if you have a 60 Hz refresh monitor, and are running at only 1920x1080, even a GTX1070 might be overkill, where as a GTX1070 might be inadequate for a monitor that is capable of 144 Hz refresh rates. (newer monitors are capable of even higher refresh rates, but, the debate as their utility will likely rage on)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#22 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

I dunno wtf u guys are talkin about anymore but thanks for the help building this sucker. Part ordering soon...

#23 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:05 AM

So i ordered everything and got everything and wondering if the case fan should be blowing in or out air with the macho rev b cpu fan blowing at the ram from opposite direction???

#24 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

Macho fan should blow air towards rear case fan.

#25 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

That's not what this clown did:    and thats how I installed it.
How can I be sure? There's not much instructions out there.

The fan wont even fit in the rear side.

#26 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Not only that, every image i look up (

it shows same way.

#27 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:05 PM

That is what he did.  The air blows through the fins of the cooler towards the rear of the case.  The little arrow on the side of the fan indicates the direction of the air flow.  When using one fan, you have it pointed in the direction of the cooler.

I have the same cooler.  Here is how mine is installed. When installed like this it clears the memory slots despite the massiveness of the cooler.

lqyUcWB.jpg

Edited by jonuk76, 02 September 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#28 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

That's not what this clown did:    and thats how I installed it.
How can I be sure? There's not much instructions out there.

The fan wont even fit in the rear side.

On that video fan blow direction is away from memory sticks, so that is towards rear of case.

Not only that, every image i look up (
it shows same way.

I talked about fan blow direction, not orientation of heatsink or placement of fan.

That is what he did.  The air blows through the fins of the cooler towards the rear of the case.  The little arrow on the side of the fan indicates the direction of the air flow.  When using one fan, you have it pointed in the direction of the cooler.

I have the same cooler.  Here is how mine is installed. When installed like this it clears the memory slots despite the massiveness of the cooler.

lqyUcWB.jpg

I installed mine same way. However I switched fan on other side so there's even more room for memory installations. On bad side airflow is not optimal to cool CPU VRM, but Asrock's VRM is more than overkill so no worries.

#29 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:43 PM

I installed mine same way. However I switched fan on other side so there's even more room for memory installations. On bad side airflow is not optimal to cool CPU VRM, but Asrock's VRM is more than overkill so no worries.

As long as it works :)  I have to say most of the time the PWM fan is idling at an inaudible 500 rpm and it barely gets warm unless loaded up doing encoding or similar.  If I was running a slightly cooler non OC'd CPU, I'm sure it could run passive, with just the breeze from the case fans.

#30 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

How do I know if ive installed it right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users