Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with my computer build

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 deneco4

deneco4

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:27 AM

I am going shopping to build a new PC. I need it for video production and gaming. I need a quiet build for audio production. I want to have 2 hard drive mirrored backup (maybe). Please tell me everything I need. Here is a list I made. What ya think? Am I missing anything? Is there better? I have 1-2k budget.

Case - Fractal Design R5 Black Silent ATX Mid Tower - 109.99 (Newegg) 109.99 (Amazon)

Processor - Intel Core i7-6700K - 349.99 (Newegg) 343.79 (Amazon)

Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4998-KR 6GB 509.99 (Newegg) 632.35 (Amazon)

Memory - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 - 99.99(Newegg)

PCI-Express - intel 750 ssd 400 gig HD PCI express slot 3.0 x4 MLC - 364.99 (Newegg) (800GB is 617.00 Amazon)

Hard Drive - 4TB Seagate SATA 6b/s - 118.99 (Newegg) 116.44 (Amazon, better/more reliable buy?) x2 for mirrored backup?

Optical Drive - Asus Optical DVD / CD RW - 19.99 (Newegg)

Motherboard - Z170xp-sli ultra durable motherboardx ???

Power supply - 850 g2 evga 850wat goldx

Processor fan - Phantek cooler tc14pex

What ya think? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:26 AM

You need a copy of Windows.  That motherboard supports M.2 drives, so you can use that instead of a PCI-Express SSD if you like.  You may want to consider a different GPU.  There are less expensive, faster, and newer models out such as the GeForce GTX 1070.  You can also consider going to the much newer Ryzen series of processors.  If you want to do that, I'd go for the AMD RYZEN 7 1700X, GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 motherboard, and G.SKILL Aegis 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 memory.

Since this is an audio build, are you going to be buying a dedicated audio card or will you use the audio chip on the motherboard?

3939.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:43 AM

I would change almost everything. This is much better, however since you didn't mention monitor, that build is missing video card. SSD and video card prices are very high right now so it's not bad idea to wait until prices drop:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bYyX6X
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bYyX6X/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($348.65 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($52.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($130.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8000 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($118.65 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($112.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($15.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($102.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1491.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-25 06:42 EDT-0400

#4 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

I have a copy of windows already just no computer to put it in.

Change almost everything????? Why??

I dont have a sound card picked out yet.

I dont know what m.2 is but i have no idea what motherboard to buy with this setup.

I definitely do NOT want an AMD build.

What is wrong with my setup?

Thanks

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

I dont know what m.2 is but i have no idea what motherboard to buy with this setup.

Thanks

Why not AMD? Fact is that currently AMD offers much better price/performance/quality/you name it ratio than Intel.

Your setup has wrong following:

- CPU is only quad core (it is way too little for video processing), it's also very hot because build quality is subpar, not to mention it's already obsolete. You also wanted silent system, so Intel is not an option unless you are ready to delid CPU.

- Video card is obsolete, replaced with GTX10xx series long time ago

- M.2 is connector for SSD's. It's more convenient replacement for PCI Express SSD's.

- LGA115x motherboards are much worse than AM4 motherboards

- PSU is overkill as 750W is enough for any single video card system

- I didn't notice cooler at end of list, that's OK

#6 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

I hear what you're saying but im willing to spend more for a brand im familiar with thats why i stuck with Intel.

I dunno what video card to use.

I definately have no idea what motherboard to get.

I spent a lot of time finding all this, kinda sucks that it...well...sucks.

I am unfamiliar with almost everything on the list you gave me. 

However that price is pretty darn good.

#7 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

i get a warning fromt he list you sent me:

• The Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Whats that mean?

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

I hear what you're saying but im willing to spend more for a brand im familiar with thats why i stuck with Intel.
I dunno what video card to use.
I definately have no idea what motherboard to get.
I spent a lot of time finding all this, kinda sucks that it...well...sucks.
I am unfamiliar with almost everything on the list you gave me. 
However that price is pretty darn good.

- Why pay more for worse? Also as I said, if you want silent computer, you have no good choices with Intel. Current Intel CPU's have thermal paste under heatspreader what essentially means heat transfer from CPU to cooler is very poor. In practice that means around 20C higher temperatures under load.

- What monitor?

- Motherboard depends on CPU

- Better to ask before spend lot of time :)

- Shortly: my list have 8 core CPU (you have 4 core), Phanteks cooler is very old and so not recommended due to possible mounting issues, motherboard has excellent features like WLAN and dual M.2 slots, memory is basically same you listed, SSD prices are high so that's not fastest or largest (but as motherboard has two slots, that's great fit for slower slot, buy faster/bigger later), HDD and case are same as you had, PSU is more than good enough, optical drive is just basic and Windows can be left out.

i get a warning fromt he list you sent me:

• The Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard.
Whats that mean?

Nothing, that's old information as Macho currently ships with AM4 mounting kit.

As that Phanteks cooler is 6 years old, I recommend something newer.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 25 August 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#9 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

I think im seeing what you're talking about. I greatly appreciate your help thusfar, this is 12 years of neglected intel here...

Can you find me a better motherboard perhaps?

Sound card? I need a line-in for some audio work.

And will I be mirroring the two hard drives?

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

I think im seeing what you're talking about. I greatly appreciate your help thusfar, this is 12 years of neglected intel here...
Can you find me a better motherboard perhaps?
Sound card? I need a line-in for some audio work.
And will I be mirroring the two hard drives?

So it's good time to switch into AMD :)

For LGA1151, your selected motherboard is OK.

Motherboards have sound cards with line-in connector. Some Hifi people say external sound cards are better. I don't say anything about that.

You can mirror two hard drives if you like, not mandatory.

#11 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:29 PM

Is there anything I can do to this build you sent me to really "blow my hair back"? 
Its actually under my budget lol. 

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

Not much I think.

It's under budget because it's missing graphic card as without knowing what monitor is/will be, it's impossible to recommend graphic card either.

#13 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

Thanks

Why not AMD? Fact is that currently AMD offers much better price/performance/quality/you name it ratio than Intel.

Your setup has wrong following:

- CPU is only quad core (it is way too little for video processing), it's also very hot because build quality is subpar, not to mention it's already obsolete. You also wanted silent system, so Intel is not an option unless you are ready to delid CPU.

If there exists a larger crock of dung out there, I've not yet run across it ....

So, to Drone-master's knowledge, the cooling sinks/fans run much more noisily when mounted on Intel CPus at 60-65C under heavy load, but, said sinks/cooler setups become essentially fanless Denvertons once on  AM4 CPUs running at 55C under load? 

The mantras, they just keep on coming...sort of like cholera outbreaks..

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#14 deneco4

deneco4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

Not sure what the last post means. 

I was going to get a large samsung monitor or something along those lines and a Gforce card...

#15 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Sorry, was offering my usual not-so-subtle rebuttal on Dronemachine's typical bogus mantra rants about claims/inference that a virtually silent Intel build is not viable, despite many of the Ryzen/AM4 rigs using the exact same fans and coolers as socket 1151/2011/2066 rigs.... My 7700K w/Z270 using a Noctua NH-D15 cooler based-build is as near silent as any I've run across.... In his mind, any cooler attached to an Intel cpu with a 91 watt TDP is a virtual hairdryer of a noise-maker as opposed to being attached to a 90 watt TDP 1800X. (Not recommending the 7700K for your usage scenario, merely rebuffing his baseless somewhat biased assertions.... and by somewhat biased, I mean always. He will *always* recommend a $100 more expensive AMD rig and then make excuses/allowances for why it burns more power and is 10-30% slower, gaming- wise. (Despite his claims 3 months ago that ' Ryzen is not a gaming processor', it will always be his choice for anyone, their speed or gaming framerate needs seemingly somewhat forgotten...or disregarded, not sure which.)

Deciding on a GPU-- most would want to know a chosen resolution and refresh rate of your monitor, more-so than just 'it's a Samsung', as running a monitor at 1440P at 144 Hz refresh requires both a very fast GPU and a fast processor....; if/when running a monitor with a 60 Hz refresh rate at only 1920x1080, one can get by with less GPU and less CPU...and less cost. If running at 4k, even the slower Ryzen is then close in framerates when GPU limited.... (Ryzen does have sometiimes have speed advantages in some editing/video processing/encoding  scenarios if you using the CPU in mult-threaded processing. As many use GPU power for such editing, I'm not sure the Ryzen's extra cores come into play as frequently.)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users