Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reverting Back from Windows 10 To Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 allansusan2

allansusan2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: Hello out there in Cyber Space

I need so help in obtaining drivers and other information pertaining how to obtain my goal.  All that I have is the Windows 7 Disk.  I also want to know if Microsoft still allow the Windows Updates for Windows 7; and if not, how could I get them if that is possible?  I also need drivers to accommodate Windows 7; could they still be around.  I know this is a tall order for one who does not like Windows 10; I also do not like Microsoft forcing down ones throat Build 1703.  I am so not looking forward to Microsoft  putting out in the not too distant future another version of Window.

My laptop is a decent spec. would it be able to take oldish software; I  do not know?

Any help that one could give me would be most appreciated.  Hoping to hear from you soon.

Allan R

Edited by Al1000, 26 August 2017 - 02:27 PM.
moved from General Chat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !   Next.

The first step is to back up all your data that is on this laptop, and I mean all - work, music, photos and so on. But also things like browser bookmarks and installation authorisation codes for any software you may have downloaded. All this should be backed up anyway so this is no hardship.

Next, go to your laptop maker's web-site and download (1) the chipset drivers for this laptop, and (2) all the Win 7 hardware drivers you may need - things like wifi, audio, video, LAN. IF you have hardware built in for which the maker - and you don't give the make and model - does not have Win 7 drivers then you are going to have to go hunting for them, possibly on the web-sites of the various hardware makers. Google can help here. Save all these drivers to external storage.

Now you can run your install disc with the confidence that the install will work. Then the chipset drivers, then the hardware drivers. At this stage you can either start installing your software or do the updates. All the updates for Win 7 are still available. I just replaced a hard drive on one of my laptops recently and after I had done the SP1 update there were 189 important updates !  I would suggest doing them in batches of 20 or so with a re-boot after each batch. If you suffer a negative reaction to an update it is easier to sort out which one of 20 it was rather than whch one of 189 !

Once it is all up and running activation should be automatic, if it isn't you will need to phone MS, usually toll free, and do it manually.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 castletech

castletech

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:53 PM

Hi allansusan2,

Most laptops have a factory recovery option, (Need make/model to give more details) assuming Windows 10 upgrade didn't disable/delete it. Did this laptop originally come with windows 7?

if so that would be the easiest option as it should include everything. Back definitely backup everything first and double check it.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

That was my first thought "castletech" find out if that Recovery Partition exists to save lot's of headaches.  

allansusan2, you intimated that you wanted to "revert" but then your asking:

My laptop is a decent spec. would it be able to take oldish software; I  do not know?

Did you mean Windows 7 being the oldish software, or other stuff?

Windows 7 won't install on some hardware, so if your pc is really new there is a change it won't install.

If you can as casteltech suggested post your Model so we can look.  Or if possible post a Speccy Chart, Unfortunately I can't find it and the search function here is horrible.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

For the benefit of all concerned - especially PCPunk ! - I agree that general forum search is not quite up with Google but it doesn't have to be to find a download.

Go to the 'Downloads' page - click on 'Downloads' in the navigation bar at the top of this page. In the top right you will see a search box, type 'Speccy' into this and click on 'Search' and you are at the Speccy page. then all you have to do is click on the big, bold word 'Speccy' and you are at the download link, but here it is -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 August 2017 - 04:53 PM.

#6 allansusan2

allansusan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:40 PM

Hi Chris; I do not know if you got my recent e-mails addressed to you; as I an not two well versed with how to Post on this web site.

I love your Logo; it reminds me when Scotland comes to Wembley to play football and the English wins.

I already have Speccy; what do you want me to do with it; don't be rude Ha HaAllan

#7 allansusan2

allansusan2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:43 PM

Chris; sorry about this; i know you have sent me some stuff regarding how to go or not go over to Windows 7.  Could you please explain to me again how i  could accomplish this, or not,

Allan

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,855 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

All that I have is the Windows 7 Disk.  

I also want to know if Microsoft still allow the Windows Updates for Windows 7; and if not, how could I get them if that is possible?  I also need drivers to accommodate Windows 7; could they still be around.  

Allan R

Allan, did this computer have Windows 7 on it as you have intimated?

Is windows 10 on there now, and how long has it been on there?

Drivers are available and most will be installed automatically, but some may need installing manually, we will address this after a few questions are answered.

Please tell us the Exact Model Number of your pc.  Sometimes with Laptops you have to take the battery out to see the model, it may be in small text in the battery bay.

Please Run and Post the Speccy Software outcome using this Tutorial if possible, if not the Model should be good enough.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

Please review this Quote as it is very good advice.  This could make it very easy for you to get Windows 7 back without installing drivers, it will be back to Factory Condition.

Hi allansusan2,

Most laptops have a factory recovery option, (Need make/model to give more details) assuming Windows 10 upgrade didn't disable/delete it. Did this laptop originally come with windows 7?

if so that would be the easiest option as it should include everything. Definitely backup everything first and double check it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

@allansusan2 #6 & 7

To take your #6 first, no problem, we all had to learn some time. First you could not have sent me an email because it isn't on BC. You might have found it doing a Google search because it is in the wild but in any case we don't use email between members on BC, we use PMs (private messages). To send someone a PM is very easy.

You start by clicking on their avatar - my flag, your GI silhouette - and this takes you to the relevant profile. At the top right of the profile you will see a button 'Send me a message'. All you have to do is (1) Click on this button; (2) Add a title/subject; (3) Start typing your message, and (4) remember to click the 'Post' button when you finish.

However - check with the forum rules - PMs are NOT to be used for problem solving, The reason for this is quite simple - nobody else on BC sees what is said in a PM. Just recently I have seen two examples of really silly, more they were dangerous, suggestions made on open forum. It happened that it was I who made posts pointing out correct procedure but it could have been any other member. If this advice had been given in PMs we could have had two totally unserviceable computers and nobody would have been any the wiser.

Your #7

Using Speccy is very easy. Download it from the link I gave in my #5 and follow the instructions given in the link in PCPunk's #8. Basically, you download it, run it , and, when it has finished analysing get the URL which PC's link will you show and copy/paste the URL into your next post.

Any more problems, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users