Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solar Eclipse August 21, 2017

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

Did anyone watch the Solar Eclipse.

We made a family event of it with the grand children.

We made viewers from cereal boxes and also used the pinhole through the cardboard method.

Although here in Oklahoma we only had 87% totality it got dark enough to know the moon covered most of the sun.

The grandchildren seemed to have a good time and I know I did as I remembered doing this when I was a child using the same rudimentary methods of viewing.

It would have been cool to have been somewhere that had 100% totality.

Just wondered what others did on that day.

The Toolman :)

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:33 PM

The solar eclipse was fake, it was staged just like the moon landings.

FAKE ECLIPSE August 21 2017 - Something went Wrong - "Graphics" in The "HOLOGRAPHIC SKY" ...

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

The solar eclipse is one of those things that are 100 times better if you don't follow any media and by some chance haven't discussed it with your buddies prior to it happening. Just imagine how cool it would be if you were just strolling through the streets, minding your own business and then BAM!, lights off... :lmao: The things that will go through your head desperately searching for an answer to the situation, especially if you are in some remote place, lol. I would personally either think that some sort of a Chernobyl-esque accident has occurred again or that the Biblical armageddon has started. :lmao:

j4w1g.jpg

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 August 2017 - 09:40 PM.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

These people are just trying to make a name for themselves.

I'm not believing this at all :nono: what would be gained by such an act of doing this.

They probably don't believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny either.

Edited by The-Toolman, 24 August 2017 - 08:52 PM.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#5 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:24 PM

Toolman, we didn't look at it directly (burns the eyeballs) but my wife poked a hole in a shoebox lid and we saw the 60% eclipse here. However, the lid's brand was Jimmy Choos which we can't afford. 
Obviously planted by the government.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

I made a 5-hour driving trip to get to the path of totality and it was absolutely, positively worth it.

I've posted about it elsewhere, and this is one of those threads (with others chiming in):  Path of Totality . . .

I hope that my partner and I will be able to share the next one with the grandchildren, who live in Austin, TX, and will be in the path of totality in 2024.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

Read this recently, a site I like, about the eclipse:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2017/08/eclipse-facts/

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

[@britechguy]

Sounds like an interesting journey you had.

Yes I agree 100% totality would be the awesome experience although what is available where one watches is what it is.

WE had 87% totality and it did get very hazy and dim almost as a really bad storm was approaching it was still cool to witness.

Perhaps better planning next time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[@r.a.d.]

Interesting article and amazing what people at the time were able to accomplish and the amount of accuracy they were able to achieve with the limited knowledge of the universe.

Although on the other hand perhaps have more knowledge then given credit for at the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any event definitely a worthy event to be involved in and I will be looking forward to the next adventure in the skies. :cool:

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

britechguy, best of wishes for your future planned sojourn to Austin, glad you saw this totality.
Toolman, I find any celestial event captivating. Even non-events, recalling many a night in the high Sierras with the star-filled ceiling above inducing feelings of wonder and insignificance as well as stoking the imagination.
Until you hear a possible bear in the nearby woods, then focus shifts entirely. :)
britechguy, best of wishes for your future planned sojourn to Austin, glad you saw this totality.
Toolman, I find any celestial event captivating. Even non-events, recalling many a night in the high Sierras with the star-filled ceiling above inducing feelings of wonder and insignificance as well as stoking the imagination.
Until you hear a possible bear in the nearby woods, then focus shifts entirely. :)

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

I find any celestial event captivating. Even non-events, recalling many a night in the high Sierras with the star-filled ceiling above inducing feelings of wonder and insignificance as well as stoking the imagination.

Yep I remember many eventful evenings under moonlit skies in a field out in the middle of nowhere with the star-filled ceiling above.

It was 1968 / 1969 we were teenagers around sixteen or seventeen years old and hallucinating on psilocybin mushrooms inducing feelings of wonder and insignificance as well as stoking the imagination.

Had several more experiences doing such things seeing all kinds of awesome artwork in the moonlit skies from the Heavens above.

The Wife and I still star gaze the skies and attend planetarium shows whenever new ones come out.

Good Times :thumbsup:

Edited by The-Toolman, 25 August 2017 - 03:51 PM.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

Yep I remember many eventful evenings under moonlit skies in a field out in the middle of nowhere with the star-filled ceiling above.

It was 1968...

...Good Times :thumbsup:

Here's a song for you :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 25 August 2017 - 03:46 PM.

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:02 PM

Remember it well. :wink:

Edited by The-Toolman, 25 August 2017 - 04:03 PM.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

r.a.d. wrote, in part, "I find any celestial event captivating. Even non-events, recalling many a night in the high Sierras with the star-filled ceiling above inducing feelings of wonder and insignificance as well as stoking the imagination."

The funny and sad thing is that the things you're describing as a "non-events" are something that a very, very great many people (including myself, with one hugely notable exception that wasn't the eclipse) never experience because we live in the modern world that is filled with light pollution for virtually all of us.

I vividly recall visiting Mount Lassen National Park in northern California about 20 years ago and camping there overnight.  When you are in an area without any artificial lighting and very far away from anyplace that has artificial lighting the night sky is absolutely packed with more stars than one ever imagined if one uses what one typically sees when looking to the night sky at home, where only the brightest stars can compete and be seen.   You also soon realize that the statistics you hear about the frequency of meteorites is true because you can actually see them.  Those are what I remember most, lying there and probably once every 10 to 15 minutes seeing another meteorite streaking across the sky.  It was every bit as fascinating as the total solar eclipse because, for me, it is every bit as rare to have the opportunity to actually experience it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#14 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Shrooms, huh? Never had them, though other psychotropics, yeah, until about '76, though much seen during my episodes were mind manufactured.
My wife & I have always enjoyed photography (mostly outdoor) and watch sunsets from our backyard. 
Many today, mostly young and some old seem glued to virtual rather than actual reality. Their loss, in my mind. 

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Shrooms, huh? Never had them, though other psychotropics, yeah, until about '76, though much seen during my episodes were mind manufactured.
My wife & I have always enjoyed photography (mostly outdoor) and watch sunsets from our backyard. 
Many today, mostly young and some old seem glued to virtual rather than actual reality. Their loss, in my mind. 

I was always interested in photography and learned how to roll my own film cans from bulk and learned how to develop black and white film.

I couldn't afford an enlarger although BW negatives could be sent through the mail to be printed at the time for a few dollars.

I had a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F 35mm and a few telephoto lenses and would set it up on a tripod at night shutter locked open and catch all kinds of movement in the sky.

I carry a auto focus digital camera that has a zoom lens and it does a really good job plus I can do everything on the computer or if need be done to FED EX.

So it's good that some habits picked up at youth are still in use today. :thumbup2:

The Toolman :)

Edited by The-Toolman, 26 August 2017 - 04:12 PM.

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users