Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is Chrome Media Router found in Chrome's task manager?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bythehil

bythehil

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

Every so often Ext:Chrome Media Router shows up on the list for Chrome's task manager. It will either disappear and reappear on its own or I will end its task but it reappears moments later; I do not believe it's causing me any problems that I know but I am concerned it may be something intrusive. I do not use chromecast or any other device like that and have google searched this topic without much success. I took a screenshot if anyone could answer my question. Thanks!

Running windows 7 with latest Chrome version

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bythehil

bythehil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

BTW I tried to add a screenshot of task manager but I could not find a way to do so except for the image button but then it wants a URL  and I have no idea what to do from there. I still have the screenshot if anyone could direct me on that as well. 

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

There are certain forums on BleepingComputer that allow attachments and others that do not.  This forum does not, so you would have to put your image "out there somewhere" on an image host and use the URL with the image button on the editor in order to have it display inline.

If you were on one of the forums that allows attachments activating the "More reply options" button at the lower right side of the message composition box will give you the advanced window that would include the button for attaching a file or files at the bottom of that advanced composition window.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 bythehil

bythehil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the info britechguy. I went to an image hosting site and when trying to add the image on here it gave me an error message saying, "[color=#80001c][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=#f3e3e6]You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." I changed the image's extension from png to jpg but still didn't work. Without the image, do you have any idea what I'm referring to in the original question britechguy or anyone else?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:38 PM

I have no idea, actually.  The fact that it's prefixed with Ext makes me think that it's probably secondary to a Chrome Extension you have installed, but that's strictly a SWAG.

I believe the screen shot would be helpful, but not essential, if someone recognizes the origin just based on the process name.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

It's for casting your browser to your chrome cast enabled tv or chrome cast device. This should be turned off by default. Anyhoo you can turn it off..

Open chrome browser and in the url field type: chrome://flags (press enter)

Next, press ctrl+F in the find window type: router (press enter) and select Default (undefined), Enabled, or Disabled.

#7 bythehil

bythehil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

okay thanks techonymous. i just disabled it (it was set to default-not sure if that means that's enabled or disabled) and for now I don't see the task in task manager. Thanks for your help techonymous and britechguy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users