Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jumping a car battery

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

Hey, I just decided to read up on something that I thought I knew how to do - jumping a car battery. All is fine, however all the articles suggest that doing it should be executed like this

How-to-Jump-a-Car-printable-tag.jpg

Every time I've done it so far, I have executed step 4 by just connecting the black cable to both cars' negative/minus battery ports and it has worked regardless. Why does everyone suggest connecting the black cable from the donor car to a bare metal in the receiving car? What have I risked by not doing it? :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 August 2017 - 08:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:47 PM

You risk an explosion, and while rare, they do occur.   Lead acid batteries outgas extremely flammable hydrogen gas as part of their normal charging/discharging cycle.

The purpose of doing "negative terminal on good battery to chassis away from battery car with dead battery" is to prevent the sparking that happens way more often than not to occur well away from any gas from the battery that could explode.

The version of the correct connection order I keep in my head, and there are variants on the positive terminals, is:

Positive good to positive bad; negative good to engine block/chassis ground on bad.   I always start the good car if possible but have on rare occasion given a jump without doing so.

See:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lead+acid+battery+explosion+video&t=h_&atb=v33-7__&ia=videos  for some spectacular examples of what can happen, and that you never, ever want to happen.  Since it's so simple to prevent it's well worth not making a direct connection to the negative battery terminal on the car with the discharged battery.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

I see, thank you for answering. Now the only question that remains is where do Mercedes drivers clap the negative/black cable onto on the receiving car, since the battery is in the trunk and all the metal bits on the surrounding areas are way too round for anything like a regular-sized crocodile clip to be clipped onto. The only thing that I could think of is, since you've opened the trunk, maybe clip it onto it while it's open, even though that would be kind of weird, just hanging on there.

Not really all that illustrative, but it's the only picture I could find off of Google.

51542-best-audio-system-sub.jpg

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 August 2017 - 10:25 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:16 PM

One need only look in the Owner's Manual for any given car to see the manufacturer's official recommendations for connection points for jumper cables when one's own car is receiving the jump rather than giving it.

Every single one I've ever seen has provided some convenient location that is away from the negative terminal of the battery and it's oftentimes under the "felt" paneling and is easily exposed by lifting it aside.  (The paneling also serves as a spark barrier as well).

I have owned three British cars so am well aware of the battery box in the boot but could always find somewhere in the boot where I could clip on a negative jumper cable that did not involve a direct connection to the battery.  In most cases it's actually where the negative cable that goes from the battery to the chassis itself attaches to the chassis.  It needn't be a huge distance from the negative terminal just somewhere that hydrogen gas is very unlikely to be present (it's light and floats away, but if it's coming out of the battery the negative terminal tends to be in the path of flow, which is exactly what you don't want).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

Hey, thanks, the manual is in Italian, but I will still flip through it, because I'd only need the illustrations.:thumbup2:

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

Illustrations, like you asked for. :)

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/how-to-jump-a-mercedes-benz-the-right-way/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

Thank you!:)

#8 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

Those have to be the clearest descriptions I've ever seen.

Stunned!

Oh, it just hit me ... you're all from Europe , probably not Kentuckians.

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 29 August 2017 - 06:12 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

Because unlike most comprehensive instructions, the one I provided just tells you how to do what you want to do and doesn't explain neither what are you doing, nor how does it work - just straight and simple.:)

#10 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Cheers to that !

I once was trying to find the reduced flow of 45 elbows, I'd a dozen but I could get around it if the reduction flow was too much and probably a couple weekends OR MORE !~ HA! of so called RESEARCH wink wink, I HATE THAT PHRASE,  seen nothing but excessive mathematics and equation papers.

EVERYWHERE !

Sadly, with no answer AT THE FRIGGIN BOTTOM AFTER READING LIKE FOREVER!

Stopped in at a plumbing and electrical business when in town and after they checked a book or two I had the reductions for all kinds, couldn't have been happier!   WHEN IN DOUBT ask Ralph down the street hahahahahahaa!

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 29 August 2017 - 06:52 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

What I find most amusing is all of this "How to jump {insert marque here}," stuff.

The technique is exactly the same if it's being done correctly for any marque.   Connect in the following order:

1. Positive clamp on positive terminal of "helper" car.

2. Positive clamp on opposing end of cable to positive terminal on car with depleted battery.

3. Negative clamp on negative terminal of "helper" car.

4. Negative clamp on some bare metal location on the engine block or chassis well away from the battery on that car.

then:

5. Start helper car.  Give it enough gas to get the engine speed to slightly above idle

6. Try to start car with depleted battery.  If all you get is clicks double check your connections.  If they're all good then wait 5 to 15 minutes before trying again; the helper car can be allowed to be at regular idle during this period.

7. After the car needing the jump starts, disconnect cables in precisely the reverse order used to connect them (use steps 4 through 1)

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

You are correct, Brian, but you forget to factor in that you are smart, lol.:lmao: I can bet that at least 15-20% of the global driver population doesn't know where their car battery is, especially if it's tucked away in the trunk, next to the spare wheel like it is in Mercedes. So, I guess this is why all these articles exist for people who've gone stranded and are checking instructions on how to do it on their smartphones.:)

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

Oh, it's no surprise that specific instructions would be required as far as where to make connections, as those do vary.  Of course, those instructions should be complete so you can't omit the order of connection and disconnection.

I am of the mind that no one should ever be allowed to receive a driver's license if they do not know exactly how to change a flat tire and jump start a car even if they cannot physically do either themselves.  You need to be able to instruct an assistant on how to safely jump a car or how to put a specific car you're driving up on the jack supplied by its manufacturer for the purpose of changing a tire (and how to do exactly that, if necessary).

There's a current auto insurance commercial that shows two teen boys stranded somewhere with a flat tire with one saying into his smart phone to his father, "Of course I know what a lug wrench is!!," followed immediately by him looking at his friend who's stranded with him and mouthing, "Is this a lug wrench?!!"   It makes me want to throttle the parents of both of those young men.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

Well, I don't know about the USA, but in here the first driving lesson is the classic 'What is a car and how does it work?' and it usually takes around half and hour of general stuff, which is almost immediately forgotten, more so even when it isn't present in the theoretical exam for getting the actual license. But anyways, that type of knowledge is exactly the one where literally no-one else suffers from if you don't know how to do it besides yourself and most people learn it the hard way when they get stranded, hopefully in the city. Hell, when I was a kid my right pedal on my bicycle broke down, so I figured out how to drive it with only my left leg, because I was ~5 miles from home and didn't want to push it. If you're wondering, I pushed down the left pedal the regular way in order to move forward and when the pedal reached bottom position after the push, I put my foot underneath it and pushed it this time upwards with the top part of my left foot, and then back again, and so on.:lmao:

#15 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

AMEN

stranded somewhere with a flat tire with one saying into his smart phone to his father, "Of course I know what a lug wrench is!!," followed immediately by him looking at his friend who's stranded with him and mouthing, "Is this a lug wrench?!!"   It makes me want to throttle the parents of both of those young men.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users