Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer's graphics seem to be stuttering bad

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

I reinstalled linux on this laptop about a week ago. It ran fine until yesterday. The screen would be entirely unresponsive for ~a full second at 10 second intervals. Today it had increased frequency to 5 second intervals. Before i restarted my computer it was multiple seconds at 5 second intervals. I was thinking it would be something congested, but i want to rule software out before i open it up. Have any idea as to what it may be?

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. While I am here, anyone have any maintenance tips? What should i do regularly to maintain the system? What are some things i should know. I have used linux on multiple occasions before but never long term. I am using it as a main OS as of recently

My OS: Zorin OS Ultimate

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:25 AM

TOMIS13LACK, to better serve you, would you please provide the system specs of your computer? :)

In order to do so, all you have to do is open the Terminal & type (or copy/paste) inxi -Fxz & your password (if requested) to generate a report, normally the password isn't needed. Then copy/paste that output in your reply. 

Thanks for providing the opportunity to serve you! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 25 August 2017 - 05:27 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

System:    Host: linuxTom-pc Kernel: 4.4.0-92-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Gnome 3.18.5 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3+zorin1)
           Distro: Zorin 12 xenial
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Inspiron 3541
           Mobo: Dell model: Inspiron 3541 v: A02
           Bios: Dell v: A02 date: 07/17/2014
CPU:       Quad core AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 14373
           clock speeds: max: 1800 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1600 MHz 3: 1800 MHz
           4: 1200 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: N/A
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.04hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-92-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-92-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-3: Atheros usb-ID: 002-008
           IF: null-if-id state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (74.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000LPVX size: 500.1GB temp: 39C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 77G used: 57G (78%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.44GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 51.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A  //hmm... weird because i hear the fan (not mistaking the harddrive for fan)
Info:      Processes: 236 Uptime: 14:03 Memory: 2594.1/6904.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 25 August 2017 - 11:21 AM.

ooh, i have a signature

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

N/A No driver available, their site is horrible.  I think you need Zorin OS 9 that will have support for your graphics.

Was this you?

//hmm... weird because i hear the fan (not mistaking the harddrive for fan)

Edited by pcpunk, 25 August 2017 - 01:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

N/A No driver available, their site is horrible.  I think you need Zorin OS 9 that will have support for your graphics.

Was this you?

//hmm... weird because i hear the fan (not mistaking the harddrive for fan)

Yes that was me. Is there any way to get the display driver without downgrading to 9?

ooh, i have a signature

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

Not that I know of, and don't really know anything about Zorin.  There site is horrible and researching anything about it was the same for me.

There's not always support for the fan speeds etc. on notebooks, that's why the value was not there.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

If I open the "Additional Drivers" menu if software and update, i get this:

Screenshot_from_2017-08-25_16-12-19.png

ooh, i have a signature

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

I don't think that will help, wait to make sure before you try it.  I may cause more problems.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

I don't think that will help, wait to make sure before you try it.  I may cause more problems.

I did it, it seems to have made absolutely no difference.

ooh, i have a signature

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,851 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

I don't know if many here are running Zorin, you may have better luck with support here if you were running Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, Mint Mate, Mint Xfce.  Zorin looks pretty standard Ubuntu though so maybe it won't matter, I found it hard finding info on it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:50 AM

I don't know if many here are running Zorin, you may have better luck with support here if you were running Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, Mint Mate, Mint Xfce.  Zorin looks pretty standard Ubuntu though so maybe it won't matter, I found it hard finding info on it.

+1! :thumbup2:

All of the distros that pcpunk mentioned above (in general) works better with most computers, because Zorin OS charges a premium (masked as a donation) to provide 'premium' drivers. While most Linux distros does this by default, each has their choice as what & what not to bundle, to include the latest/best drivers for one's system. Also, in my over 8 year experience, there's nothing wrong with enabling the CPU and/or GPU's proprietary drivers when offered. Other brands of OS, to include Windows/Mac, does the same, although this is often bundled with the normal updates. :)

BTW, I see that you're using AMD graphics, you'll need a distro based upon Ubuntu 14.04 to have the best experience, this covers many distros, to include Mint 17.3, supported through April 2019. You're relying on open source rather than proprietary drivers & this could well be the cause of graphics stuttering, as long as the computer is otherwise healthy. As to the fan reading you're hearing, yet not seeing, this is because one has to configure things to where these are shown. Since it's been some time I went through these, best to open another Topic on that issue, as long as you knows any are working, that's what counts. You can see your CPU/GPU temps, meaning that along with your ears, these are running, otherwise would be getting a warning at boot that the fan isn't running. 

Note that with some motherboards, especially notebooks, fan control is hard to accomplish, as well as the MB reading that shows 'N/A', which applies to many desktop computers also. :)

I'd say going with Ubuntu 14.04/Linux Mint 17.3 is your best choice for AMD graphics at this point, although in another 19 months, will be in the same spot again when these becomes unsupported. This is where having a Intel computer with optional NVIDIA graphics can be of great help, there's no gap in proprietary driver support, one can enable these through the same Additional Drivers tab.

Now that you're empowered with a little more information, you can now test distros based from Ubuntu 14.04, if desired, can do so from installing to a 16GiB or larger USB stick first. While you can grab some updates in a Live session, drivers are different, the required reboot will undo what you've enabled. THis is where an install directly on a USB stick can help, although keep in mind to place the bootloader on that stick & not your internal drive. You'll see the option when creating partitions, at the bottom, there's a drop down menu as to where to select the bootloader's place, choose the USB stick. Of if easily accessible, remove your internal drive to ensure nothing becomes overwritten (my preferred choice). :)

Good Luck & please let us know the outcome in this Topic. The usefulness of our answers means a lot to the Community as a whole & allows us to improve our quality of service to others. :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users