Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected PC Shutdown ~ Windows 7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 rokittman

rokittman

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hey all,

This issue started several days ago. I was talking on the phone and doing nothing on my computer at the time. I had Gmail, FaceBook and Symbaloo home page tabs open in Chrome.

The computer shut down as if someone had pulled the plug. I tried to reboot with the power button, but nothing happened. I unplugged the power cable from the back of the computer, let it rest a minute, plugged it back in and tried to restart. This time the power lights flashed for a second, I heard the speakers pop as they usually do on startup, but it did not continue to boot. Again I unplugged it but waited a while longer before restarting. This time it booted completely, but only stayed on for about 10 minutes.

I started thinking it might be a bad power button and when I removed the case to check, it did appear as though one leads solder joint was loose. I tried my best to re-solder the connection. This time it stayed on for several hours and died again. I believed it to be a bad solder joint or a bad switch at that time.

I removed the switch and replaced it with one I had salvaged from an old computer. Again, several hours it was fine, then shut down. I opened and cleaned the case very well, checked that all fans were running ~ 3 fans blowing on the CPU, 2 blowing out the back and one on-board the video card.

I don't believe it's a heat issue because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the amount of time the OS stays loaded. But it does seem that if it stays unplugged longer, it tends to stay running longer. Other times, it will stay unplugged over night and only flash in the morning.

I'm not sure if you guys can help with this. As it normally won't stay online long enough to diagnose the issue. But I'm hoping someone here has a clue as to what is going on.

Thanx for anything you can do,

- Dean -

Edited by rokittman, 24 August 2017 - 10:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

No one at BC is willing to take a stab at this? Any input is better than none. Please!

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

P.S. Even if your computer isn't blue screening, please still do the above.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 rokittman

rokittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

BWV,

I Cross-posted this topic in the Windows 7 forum because I received no response here after three days. Also there seems to be some confusion or misunderstandings in regards to my particular issue.

In this AND the Windows 7 forum I'm being instructed to download and run software and post logs of test results. This is after my originally post clearly stated that my system won't stay online long enough to do so.

It's lookin like a failing power supply to me. I have one here I'm going to swap out. I'll post my results in the Windows 7 thread.

-Thanx-

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Okay, I will request for this topic to be closed.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users