Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New SSD Samsung Drive, no detect

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DavidrHaley

DavidrHaley

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:53 AM

One of my old 1 Terabyte drives is starting to fail, so I bought a replacement online, and when I plug it into my motherboard and check through win7 in  Computer Management, my computer does not recognize it at all. I run MSI 4 Bios, and can't figure out how to make this work. Any idea's?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

SSD model? Motherboard?

#3 DavidrHaley

DavidrHaley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

SSD model? Motherboard?

Samsung V-Nand SSD 850 EVO 500 Gig drive

Motherboard MSI MS-7885

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Did you change from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

You say that "my computer" fails to recognize the drive.  Does that mean that drive does not appear in either the BIOS or Windows?  A drive that is not formatted will appear in the BIOS, but not in Windows.  For Windows to see a drive, it must be initialized/formatted.

Louis

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

You used what SATA port on motherboard?

#7 DavidrHaley

DavidrHaley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

Sorry for the long delay; I have been otherwise occupied. 

It comes down to this., one of my Drives, (F:) WDC WD1001FALS-00E8BO ATA Device Western Digital SATA hard drive is starting to fail. I need to drag and copy the majority of the files on to a new hard drive. 

So I had plugged a new SSD Samsung drive into my mother board, and it doesn't read. I under stand I need to do something in BIOS but I am unsure how to do this. I plugged the wire into SATA 6 port if that helps anything. 

I get very nervous when tampering with BIOS, so that is why it has been a stand still since it wasn't (plug in play) lol. 

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2017 - 08:23 PM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

Make sure the data and power cables are connected. Detach and reattach the cables. Is the drive detected in UEFI/BIOS? Try a different power connector and data cable if available.

Some MBs allow you to enable/disable the SATA ports. If you have any SATA drive on ports 1-5 then 6 should be enabled. Note: If you have a M.2 drive then SATA5/6 will not work. See if using SATA 7 in AHCI mode works. Consult the MB manual.

The SATA Express port or SATA5~6 ports will be unavailable when installing the M.2 SATA interface module in the M.2 port. 

If the drive is detected in UEFI/BIOS look under Disk Management. Is there a disk that says "Not Initialized"? If so then you need to initialize the disk and then partition/format as Luis posted. With the SSD attached open a command prompt and type.

diskpart

list disk

Your SSD should be listed.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

Try SATA port 1-4, it should be visible on BIOS without any problems. Try with another SATA cable first.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 07 September 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

Also make sure that the drive is formatted within Windows because that also needs to be put into consideration also if your main hard drive is failing I do hope you have a backup as a solid state drive is very small compared to a standard hard drive

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users