Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ProtonVPN - Stuck at "Assigning IP"?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:01 AM

Hi,

I am using the Windows client for ProtonVPN.  I find that sporadically (about 80% of the time) I am unable to connect.  When it doesn't connect it always gets stuck at the "Assigning IP" message for a while, then it gives up connecting.  However, when it does connect it works perfectly well.

Any ideas why this happens and how to fix?

I have tried a few things to try to resolve it but none have helped:

• Using different virtual locations/servers.
  • Changing between UDP and TCP protocols.
  • Restarting Windows.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling.
  • Going through the points here - https://protonvpn.com/support/windows-vpn-issues/ (including the network adaptor part).

I am using Windows 7 Pro running ProtonVPN 1.0.7.  It is the Free version but currently running as a Plus account (7-day trial).  My Internet connection and PC works fine otherwise.

Many Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2017 - 09:36 AM.
Moved from AV/AM to Web Browsing/Email, moved back - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

I notice that I can usually connect fine the first time after starting Windows.  However, if I disconnect from the VPN and try to reconnect, this is usually (but not always) when I get the "Assigning IP" stall and connection failure.

#3 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

I found that since updating the ProtonVPN client to version 1.0.9, the connection process is great and does not fail during the "Assigning IP" stage.  Really pleased with ProtonVPN now this issue is fixed.  :-)

#4 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

I have the same problem, what do I do :smash:

#5 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

I have the same problem, what do I do :smash:

If you are using the ProtonVPN Windows client, which version are you using?  I had persistent connection problems when I initially installed version 1.0.7.  However, I updated to 1.0.9 when prompted and the connecting process has been much more fluent without having to do anything else.  Version 1.0.10 is the latest version at the time of writing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users