Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 routers in one network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thomassooo

thomassooo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:06 AM

Hello,
at the begin, I'm totally newbie in configuring networks...
I have network like this: https://ibb.co/jW3Pbk
From devices connected to switch I have an Internet and everything is fine. Now I connected a router's wan port to this switch and it got a IP address from dhcp (so it have the Internet and access to other devices in this network). But devices connected to the R2 lan ports can ping only each other but without access to the Internet and devices connected to switch. My question is what should I do to get the Internet and access to devices connected to the switch? Please help me...

Attached Files

• Attached File  mm.png   7.41KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mozza7

Mozza7

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

Hello,
at the begin, I'm totally newbie in configuring networks...
I have network like this: https://ibb.co/jW3Pbk
From devices connected to switch I have an Internet and everything is fine. Now I connected a router's wan port to this switch and it got a IP address from dhcp (so it have the Internet and access to other devices in this network). But devices connected to the R2 lan ports can ping only each other but without access to the Internet and devices connected to switch. My question is what should I do to get the Internet and access to devices connected to the switch? Please help me...

The way we have it setup at my place is this;

We have 5 routers in our house..

Main router: 192.168.1.1

Second: 192.168.1.2 and so on...

I connected all my routers via the LAN port as opposed to the WAN port. I then changed it so all routers EXCEPT for the main router have DHCP DISABLED.

These will the basically act as AP's or small little switches.. Might be worth trying?

It depends what setup you are trying to make? How do you want it all setup?

#3 thomassooo

thomassooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

Hmm, good idea. The main reason to connect this router (with sim slot) to network it was that he will be send sms but now it working without sim, so switch probably will be enough. I'll try, thanks for advice :)

#4 Mozza7

Mozza7

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

Hmm, good idea. The main reason to connect this router (with sim slot) to network it was that he will be send sms but now it working without sim, so switch probably will be enough. I'll try, thanks for advice :)

Just ensure that the second router is not in the DHCP range! set the dhcp to perhaps 192.168.1.10 or whatever! and have the router to .2?

I don't have much experience with routers with sims so I'm not 100% this will work as intended!

#5 ilonggo

ilonggo

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

Hi Thomas,

May I know why you need to connect another router? To connect to other PC on your network you need to disable the DHCP of your second router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users