Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Android Apps During Update? Is it safe?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:49 AM

Hi,

I have Android app updates set to Manual.  Is it safe to use Android apps whilst they are being updated using Google Play?  For example, if I am installing an update for Firefox app can I run and browse with Firefox whilst the update takes place or should I wait for the update of Firefox to fully complete?  Is there any chance of an update getting corrupted or misbehaving when used if an update is taking place, or does Android have provisions in place for this and it isn't something to be concerned about?  Using tablet/phone with Android 5.01/6.01 respectively.

Many Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

I have never intentionally attempted to use an Android app when an update was in progress but I cannot imagine that I have not done so since Gmail, for instance, is constantly running if only in the background and it's been updated more times than I can count.

When I get update messages that I need to kick off I simply kick off the updates whether those are for apps I have running or that I don't.  I have never experienced any issues, so it would appear that Android gracefully handles whatever situation it finds itself faced with in regard to an app that needs to be updated being active or not.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

If I am not mistaken, Android keeps using the previous, non-updated version of a currently-running app until that app is either moved to background, shut off or the phone is restarted, at which point the old app is being removed and the updated app is being fully installed. For example, when using Firefox while Firefox is being updated, you will see no difference once the update is finished, but you will see a difference when you close Firefox and then open Firefox again.:)

#4 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

Thanks - your comments are consistent with what I thought about the issue.  Considering that the default setting in Google Play is auto update in the background anyway, I can't see it really causing an issue.  However, I prefer to have my updates set to manual so I can at least review what the new features/changes may be before updating.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

<Snip> However, I prefer to have my updates set to manual so I can at least review what the new features/changes may be before updating.

And or totally destroys a perfectly wonderful application in it's current incarnation. Think Glovebox > Meteor Swipe

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 davidhenn

davidhenn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

I guess it'd be okay to use it, but after it starts installing the app itself will restart itself, so if you are on to an important work with any app consider winding it up before the install.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users