Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DO I NEED A VPN

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wickerman

wickerman

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:35 AM

would a vpn help me in steaming films and music.

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2017 - 09:35 AM.
Moved from AV/AM to Web Browsing/Email, moved back - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:51 AM

Maybe, depends where you are and where the content is coming from.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

As TsVk! noted, it can, if you are being blocked from accessing material based on your geographic location.

Other than getting around that, no.  It adds extra processing and is just "something else to do" before the stream can arrive where it ultimately needs to go.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

A virtual private network (VPN) essentially extends a private network across a public network (Internet) and enables a computer to send and receive data across a public network as if it were directly connected to the private network. VPNs provide security by the use of tunneling protocols, encryption and authenticated remote access. A VPN helps to protect you from identity theft, hides your IP address, and allows you to secure your transmitted data, financial transactions and personal information while online.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

Two very recent articles from MakeUseOf:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/online-vpn-use/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/just-illusion-think-using-vpn-service/

Both worthy of a read.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#6 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:50 AM

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU, Tsvk  Britechguy   quietman 7.  Saw101    read both those links. all i can say is it s' a little bit scary.when you buy a computer you think  you can have fun with it. but then  you realise you are told what you can watch .

what is the point .it is frightening. as to the VPN problem i am more confused. but it seems from what you hint at ,it would be best to leave it alone..just have good security.

once again thanks to all of you .

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:08 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

If you have not done so already, you may want to read: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices for Safe Computing
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,638 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

wickerman,

I just want to make clear that the content limitations I am discussing really have little to nothing to do with "controlling what you can watch" in the sense of censorship but with commercial broadcasters intentionally limiting stuff to their chosen target markets.  True censorship is an entirely different ball of wax.

Someone was recently asking, on BC if I'm recalling correctly, about not being able to watch certain German language TV content produced in Germany because their computer was identified as residing outside the "service area" (for lack of a better term) for that content producer.  You can use VPNs to make your location appear to be other than it is in order to get around these sorts of restrictions.   Content producers do have the right to limit their distribution and always have.  How that's done now in the internet age has changed of necessity.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:19 AM

Thanks Britechguy.  i can understand that,so it is probably not needed for streaming films.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,638 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

A VPN is definitely not needed for streaming.   In fact it would slow down the streaming as it adds work for your computer to do.  (Now, that may not result in any noticeable effect, and I'm not saying it would, but more work is more work regardless of what you add on to the heap while you're also streaming.)

#11 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:12 AM

thanks again for that info.will keep it in mind.

#12 anajames

anajames

• Banned Spammer
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:04 AM

A VPN is definitely not needed for streaming.   In fact it would slow down the streaming as it adds work for your computer to do.  (Now, that may not result in any noticeable effect, and I'm not saying it would, but more work is more work regardless of what you add on to the heap while you're also streaming.)

I want to elaborate more that if you are using the internet without a VPN so streaming will effect because ISP can monitor your online activities to regulate the network traffic when you are streaming, it is also known as "bandwidth choking." They do it because they don't want you to use extra bandwidth for streaming, or downloading. The ISP then takes charge and reduces the speed limit for all users’ or a particular user based on their online activity. 

Nowadays a lot of internet users using VPN's to bypass the ISP throttling for more details information check out this articleI hope this might help you. :hug:

Edited by anajames, 15 November 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#13 AnythingButMalware

AnythingButMalware

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

If you're in a place where streaming movies/TV is blocked by certain ISPs then you may need to do so in order to access those sites. Using a VPN is also practical in securing your connection to websites.

Have you tried turning it off and back on? :P

#14 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:01 AM

i have sky broadband and almost all the films i try to download they block. even if they are cartoons.it i is not as though they are offensive,

it is so annoying i pay for broadband, they seldom give me the speed  i pay for, and then they tell me what i can watch. anyway thats enough moaning for now , i will definitely look into a vpn now , Thanks  Just Another Node.

#15 wendellhill

wendellhill

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:55 AM

would a vpn help me in steaming films and music.

yes of course. do know what are the 25 reasons for uses of VPNs. in the list one of your question answer.

• 1 Why Use A VPN?
    • 1.1 1. Get Invisibility Cloak To Ditch Online Threats
    • 1.2 2. Erase Your Digital Footprints From The Internet
    • 1.3 3. Keep Your Personal Conversation Private
    • 1.4 4. Protect Your Valuables Online
    • 1.5 5. Hide Your Identity While Sending Anonymous Emails
    • 1.6 6. Secure Your Entire Family And Home Network
    • 1.7 7. Safely Use Free Wifi Hotspots
    • 1.8 8. Safely Shop Online With Your Credit Card
    • 1.9 9. Avoid Government Surveillance
    • 1.10 10. Access The Web Freely
    • 1.11 11. Watch Your Favorite Sports Online
    • 1.12 12. Watch Your Favorite Movies
    • 1.13 13. Listen To Free Music On-the-Go
    • 1.14 14. Access VoIP Services Without Restrictions
    • 1.15 15. Enjoy MMORPG Games without Lags
    • 1.16 16. Download Torrents Anonymously
    • 1.17 17. Access Books From Around The World
    • 1.18 18. Avoid Additional Taxes
    • 1.19 19. Save Money On Airfares
    • 1.20 20. Save Money On Hotel Bookings
    • 1.21 21. Save Money On Books And Hardware
    • 1.22 22. Securely Access Official Emails
    • 1.23 23. Remotely Access Office Network
    • 1.24 24. Optimize Your Website Via Off Page SEO
    • 1.25 25. Freely Express Your Thoughts And Opinions

Edited by wendellhill, 23 November 2017 - 04:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users