Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt System Files - I'm Lost

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 spluck

spluck

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

Dell XPS 8500  Windows 8 64 bit

I've had corrupt system files for ages. SFC Scannow has never been able to repair them and I don't have an ISO.  Just ran a scan and it's uglier than I've ever seen it.

In the past week PC performance has plummeted. Terribly slow, including internet. I contacted Dell to get a Win 8 install disk or ISO download. They said that they don't support Win 8 anymore and told me to upgrade. Call me crazy but I always thought that upgrading on top of a bad foundation was a really dumb idea.

I literally live on my PC and it feels like it's going to die on me. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on good copies of the corrupt files? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

Personally, I would backup your personal data, browser bookmarks, and any license files for purchased programs and do a clean install. If the computer was pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is in firmware and will activate again with the Windows 8.1 install once online. 

You can create a DVD or USB or Windows 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool. Select your version, home or pro.

Use the following guide on doing a clean install.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

You should install 8.1 as Microsoft no longer supplies security updates for Windows 8.

#3 spluck

spluck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

Hi John.
Thanks for your reply. Clean install instructions are unclear to me. Deleted Primary partition but don't know if I should delete the rest. They are:

Partition 2 DIAGS. 40MB (35 free). OEM (Reserved)
Partition 3. 128MB (128 free) MSR (Reserved)
Partition 4 WINRETOOLS 500MB (210 free) Recovery
Partition 5 PBR Image 12GB (270MB free) Recovery

Sorry for dummy questions. 20+ yrs since I did a full OS install. Too old for this stuff. 🙄

#4 spluck

spluck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

Geez ... missed a Partition.
Recovery. 500MB (429 free) System

It's the only one the instructions are clear about deleting, besides Primary.

#5 spluck

spluck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

Oops

Edited by spluck, 24 August 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

You can delete all those partitions. They are relevant only to Windows 8. Delete all partitions then select next. You may want to keep the Dell Diagnostics but I am not sure it will work after install Windows 8.1. You can always run diagnostics using other bootable software.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 August 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#7 spluck

spluck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

You can delete all those partitions. They are relevant only to Windows 8. Delete all partitions then select next. You may want to keep the Dell Diagnostics but I am not sure it will work after install Windows 8.1. You can always run diagnostics using other bootable software.

Thanks John. After a lot of running around I finally figured out that the only way fwd was to wipe the drive. What a frikkin PITA. :smash:   Can't imagine why anyone would want to do IT for a living.  LOL  Anyway, I really do appreciate your help. All set, thanks to you.   :clapping:

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

Your Welcome,

Once you have all your software and updates installed I recommend you make regular disk image backups using one of the following free programs. All will allow you to create complete disk images to a USB external drive. They all offer to create a bootable CD/USB flash drive in order to recover the image should the computer no longer boot or the drive has failed. This allows you to be back up in minutes vs hours. They all let you mount the image as a virtual drive should you need to copy a file out of the image. Aomei and Easeus also allow for folder/file backup with Easeus being the most intuitive.

For instance, if your drive failed, replace the drive, boot the CD/USB and recover the image. No pre-formatting is required.

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

#9 spluck

spluck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

Aomei and Easeus also allow for folder/file backup with Easeus being the most intuitive.

I grabbed EaseUS and yet again I must thank you for the helpful guidance.  :) 

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

EaseUS is the tool I use as well. Easy to use and does it right the first time.

#11 Lempereur

Lempereur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:33 PM

Hi:

Did anyone recommend using Microsoft's DISM command at the Sys Admin Run ?

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

This gives you online access to all of Microsoft's ISO files, just like they were in your DVD. It is self contained.

#12 spluck

spluck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Hi:

Did anyone recommend using Microsoft's DISM command at the Sys Admin Run ?

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

This gives you online access to all of Microsoft's ISO files, just like they were in your DVD. It is self contained.

Thanks for your suggestion. I neglected to mention that I ran DISM many times. The issues were never resolved so I did the clean 8.1 install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users