Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen savers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

I am looking for a screen saver for Win 10 similar to the MS built in one.  That one does everything I want but I would like one that shows the file name as it runs.  I have thousands of beautiful photos that I have collected over many years and when one comes up that I particularly like, and might want to use it for a desktop background when the SS isn't running it's almost impossible to fine without a file name.  Scrolling through thousands of thumbnails is not really practical. 

The Win SS would be fine if anyone knows of a way to display the file name as it scrolls through otherwise another piece of software that will do what I want.Can anyone help?  I sure would appreciate it.

floyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

Which Screen Saver are you using?:

screen-saver-settings.jpg

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

I have been using Win SS like you show in you pic. I select photos and then the folder folder etc and works just fine.  But if I see a picture  that i really like as it's going by on the screen and wont to use as a desktop pic, it's almost impossible to find in a folder on 7000 + pictures. 

If this screen saver or another someone may know about would show the file name while it's on the screen I could quickly find it in my storage folder.

Thanks for the quick reply.

floyd

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

See:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/09692d29-76c1-4fb0-a523-cd4e94777570/screen-saver-display-the-filename?forum=w8itprogeneral

or the very similar:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-do-i-put-file-names-with-my-screen-saver/5108ddc9-7eaa-4e6a-910b-c7eb6199e008

You will need access to a Windows XP computer, do not download screen saver files from the internet, but you must know someone who has one.  I've got one that I have on long term loan to a friend who uses some old software that's not compatible with newer versions of Windows.

This appears to be the easiest method I've found.   For some bizarre reason it seems that virtually all makers of photo slideshow screen savers have removed the "display file name" feature.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

Screen Saver Settings

Do so as @britechguy said, or simply run this command:

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1

(WinKey + R => rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1 => OK)

or the same using cmd.exe 

or make desktop icon where to the location area/Link Target copy the same 

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1

Desktop link name may be for example Screen Saver Settings

or make .bat file

@echo off
Start rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1
Exit 

or add to desktop background context menu (mouse right click menu)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Screen Saver Settings]
@="Screen Saver Settings"
"Icon"="%windir%\\System32\\PhotoScreensaver.scr"
"Position"="Bottom"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Screen Saver Settings\Command]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,1"

Edited by zainmax, 23 August 2017 - 08:29 PM.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

If the Print Screen button works while the Screensaver is on, then you can just use it and then paste it in Paint, save it, and view it. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 August 2017 - 10:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users