Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm New...Need some kind of VM direction.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrpushner

mrpushner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

Not sure why I waited so long but need to take a dive into the VM world and need some advice from the VM pros.

SOFTWARE:  Planning VM setup with latest Windows OS to run small business Domain Controller and File Server for 30ish users.  I suppose Virtual Desktops might be possible but i just dread those little boxes over full PC's.   Possibility of adding some local apps or possibly VOIP system (so maybe also an App VM and VOIP VM), but currently bulk of production apps and DB's are already in the cloud so loads should be pretty light. 

HARDWARE:  Planning 3 Physical servers, two in Location A: a VM HOST machine and a 2nd redundant identical machine for backup.  Location B has the 3rd identical machine that will be a HOST as well if i need to run backup VM's or move VM's to this location.

The PLAN:  Full redundancy or fail over for VM's is not necessary as Location B is close enough to Location A that I can physically take VM's on external media to either location in the event of complete failure of either location.   The backup plan is to make daily (or should I say nightly) copies of all VM files in both locations and also on external media or in a ONEDRIVE cloud storage account to have access to VM machines in the event of physical server failure or complete location failure.  

Questions:  

1.) First off, is there still a FREE version of VMware that will cover my requirements?  I have read to NEVER use say VIRTUALBOX in a real business scenario but I just do not have proper knowledge at this time.  If Free is an option, which will get the job done for my setup?  If Free VMWARE will NOT get the job done, what are my best paid alternatives for my setup?

2.) As I am starting with new hardware, are there any Vendors that can be recommended that sell a set of servers already geared toward my requirements (Aka may already have VMware and such installed and ready to go)?   Can anyone make a recommendation of Physical servers (Dell, Lenovo, etc) that they have used with a similar setup with good results?

3.) Am I going to need a separate VM backup solution?  For example should I be buying a 3rd party backup solution or are simple tools already available in VM products or as add-ons that will handle the AUTOMATION of backing up VM's to external and remote locations?

Your input is greatly appreciated as I'm an infant when it comes to VM's.

Thanks much,

MP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

We're running Dell EMC servers with vSphere software running on Linux to host our VM's, then we use VMWare Workstation clients to manage the machines. The racks are set up with dual mirrored servers (2 sets of 2 physical servers in different locations) for redundancy. Dell, although pretty average with their desktop hardware make exceptional servers. We've been using them for many years.

Dell will try and grossly oversell you on your needs though, it may be worth your while to get a consultant in for this project as the initial configuration can be a minefield if you have never done it before.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:43 PM

also... VMWare do a week long training course that is invaluable for understanding the way these systems operate, and will allow you to hit the ground running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users