Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet browsers closing themselves right after starting.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drm870

drm870

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

For several weeks, when trying to run Google Chrome on my desktop, the browser has been running for a couple seconds, but then abruptly closes down. No error message accompanies this, though whenever I've tried to start it up since, it gives me the option to restore previous tabs. I ran AVG Antivirus and MalwareBytes at the time, but found nothing. Unable to figure out what was going on, I simply switched to Microsoft Edge at the time.

Starting yesterday afternoon, Microsoft Edge has been having the same thing happening. Again, no crash report or error message of any sort appears, but I did notice the default initial start screen doesn't load now before it closes. I scanned with AVG and MalwareBytes again, and again got nothing. I also downloaded Spybot: Search & Destroy and HijackThis and ran them, but Spybot hung at 100% when finishing its scan and HijackThis proved too confusing for me. I do have a log for the latter if you wish me to post it.

I guess I'm trying to figure our if this is in fact some sort of malware at work or if something else is going on. No other programs seem to be affected by whatever is causing this (so far). This is a Windows 10 computer, by the way.

Program Versions:

Windows 10 Home

Google Chrome: 60.0.3112.101

Microsoft Edge: 40.15063.00

AVG Antivirus: 17.5.3022

Malwarebytes: 3.1.2

Spybot: Search & Destroy: 2.6.46.0

HijackThis: 2.00.0005

Edited by drm870, 23 August 2017 - 09:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wireshark

Wireshark

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

Since the scans are coming back clean, I don't think you're dealing with an infection.

Few questions for you:
1) Does the browsers consistently crash or is it hit & miss?

2) Have you tried seeing if this behavior exists with Firefox?

I would recommend running CC Cleaner and cleaning up the Temporary Internet Files for both browsers.

I would also review your extensions/add-on's for both browsers.

Also, please try this:

1) Hit start

2) Type "Internet Options"

3) Select "Advanced" Tab 

"Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering" - is this box checked?

If so, please un-check and see if the behavior persists.

Please let me know the results.

Thank you!

#3 drm870

drm870
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

The answers to the first two questions were:

1) Consistently crash.

2) No.

I have run CCleaner on the computer now. It would appear that this fixed Chrome, but not Edge. The "software rendering" box you spoke of was not checked.

I may try to see what extensions/add-ons Edge has installed right now, but it crashes quickly enough that this may prove to be difficult. In any case, having Chrome working again (assuming this holds) makes fixing Edge less urgent.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users