Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How long can a computer be in sleep during a power outage??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

I was sleeping today, when I woke up I found there was a power outage, the night before, I left the computer on, I have it configured to go to sleep in 30 minutes of inactivity, so it obviously went to sleep, when I came to computer the led on the power button was blinking indicating that it was sleeping, but I was confused, there was a power outage and I saw my computer led status saying it was sleeping, for further tests, I plugged in to the ac a multimeter, indicating there was 6 volts ac, yes there was 6 volts only during the power outage.

When power was restored, I powered my computer and sure, everything was as if it went to sleep.

So I'm considering 2 possibilities:

1. The system could have been feeding of the energy of the capacitors in the psu

or

2. The psu could have directed those 6 volts ac to keep on the ram with power and power the led up

What do you think?

BTW:its a dell dimension 9200

Don't even think about it if your not sure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

how long was the power out for?

if the power just flashes off and on quickly it may not have any effect on your computer

#3 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

out for aproximately 4 hours

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Is the computer plugged into a battery backup.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

"I plugged in to the ac a multimeter, indicating there was 6 volts ac, yes there was 6 volts only during the power outage."

Six volts from what?  If you had a full outage it certainly wouldn't have been from your AC outlets.  In looking at the replacement power supplies for this machine there was apparently some form of motherboard in some of them that used +12VDC, and if that's in yours then sleeping on 6 volts should be a cinch.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

six volts from the outlet on my house, transformers here in mexico arent really good quality, they blow up sometimes, i only have my computer plugged into an electronic tension regulator, otherwise known as surge protectors, its connected to a koblenz power surge protector, a fat one, but defenitly not a ups.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

You didn't mention if you tried to start it up. If you tested it as it was it is probably from the capacitors. The PSU couldn't have directed any power if it wasn't receiving any.

#8 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

When power was restored, I powered my computer and sure, everything was as if it went to sleep.

I did, but during the outage, the outlet was only supplying 6 volts ac out of 120v ac.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Another thing I hadn't thought of, but the sleep setting also has an "auto-hibernate" feature on laptops at least if there is an imminent chance of losing battery power entirely.  It makes me wonder if your machine didn't actually hibernate at some point, but that would still require power to complete the hibernation.

This quite handy behavior you had is mysterious.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

As I said, the pc led status was still blinking, indicating it was in sleep mode, during the outage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users