Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There a Black Screen of Death?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 raifordgirl2

raifordgirl2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

I did what I tell others not to do and screwed up big time I'm afraid.  I had run some scans on my sister-in-law's computer, in safe mode because I knew she had malware & virus'.  Got her taken care of and decided to scan mine as it has gotten progressively slower.  With the other computer I only had to make one change;.  I thought.  The other computer, (sister-in-law's), had a Windows 7 operating system, my computer has  Windows 10.  Long story short, I typed in: msconfig.exe just like I knew what I was doing and clicked on "restart".  I have not been able to bring my computer back up since then.  In fact, even though the "normal"   LIGHT's are on Fing says the computer is offline.  Without being able to see what's on the monitor I don't know what to do.  If I have to reformat and re-install the operating system I can do that.  However, if that ends up being the case is there any way I can salvage pictures and documents?  Like others before me I didn't follow my own advice about back ups either.  Any and all advice is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raifordgirl2

raifordgirl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

Forgot to add after typing msconfig.exe I changed boot to safe mode, then hit restart.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,481 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

The first thing I'd suggest is trying to start in Safe Mode again.

You can do this by holding down the Shift key as the machine is booting up and you'll eventually get the Windows 10 startup menu (this is presuming that you have Fast Boot turned off).  If you do not have Fast Boot turned off then this will likely not work.

You can definitely get all of your data off of your existing drive if you simply connect it to another machine using a USB to (whatever connection format your drive is, probably SATA) cable and treat it as an external drive.

You could also go into UEFI and change the boot order to use either a USB drive or CD/DVD drive first when the splash screen comes up.  Not knowing what brand of computer you have I can't say what key you must repeatedly press to make this happen.  On HP machines it's usually ESC as the machine is coming up and at some point on the splash screen you get taken to UEFI.  Then try booting from Win10 external media and doing a repair.

Edited by britechguy, 23 August 2017 - 02:11 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 raifordgirl2

raifordgirl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

This is an Acer desktop, I apologize for not including that information.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,216 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

If Brian's suggestion doesn't work you can try option two here. Sometimes you can force Windows into the Advanced Boot Options using this method. 

Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
Click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options

From Troubleshoot open a command prompt and type:
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

If that fails you can still recover your photos and data by attaching the HDD to another computer using a USB adapter or by booting a live linux disk and copying the data to a USB external drive.

Acer's UEFI boot key I believe is F2.

#6 raifordgirl2

raifordgirl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

I appreciate the help you both offered, but I kept focusing on why the monitor wouldn't come on.  I replaced the HDMI cable with a VGA cable I didn't know was here until my daughter told me and that was the problem.  I don't believe in coincidences, but that's what this was.  Again, I thank you and I apologize for wasting your time.  Had I know I had the cable here I never would made the post.  Feel pretty dumb, but very happy that it was that simple of a fix.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,216 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

No need to feel dumb. It's just the nature of computers and their ability to tear one's hair out. That was one crazy coincidence. Glad your back up and running. 

#8 raifordgirl2

raifordgirl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

Thank you so much JohnC_21, I appreciate that.   :wink:

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,481 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

raifordgirl2,

I am torn between offering a very arch, "You fool, how could you do that!!," and a sincere, "Believe me, those of us who've been around the block too many times to count have been there, done that, too," both of which are ways of communicating that you are definitely not alone.

I, too, am glad it was simple and that you had someone to point out the issue who happened by serendipitously.  Now throw away that bad cable (if it's the cable that's the problem rather than the connector for same on the computer or monitor).  If you are able to determine exactly which component failed between the laptop and the monitor it's worth putting some sort of warning on either the computer or monitor if the fault lies with either rather than the cable.

I also know only too well how easy it is to forget what you learned bleepity years ago when you accidentally create the same situation again completely unintentionally.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#10 raifordgirl2

raifordgirl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

Thanks britechguy, I know what you're saying.  I had a programmer back in the early days tell me, among other things, look for the simple s__t.  He was right.  You guys have a great evening and thank you again so very much. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users