Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Being Taken Seriously

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

I have noticed that a lot of people don't seem to want to take my advise. I've even found some post to a different forum after I reply to their posts. I think it's because of my age. Do you think I'd be better off to change my picture and hide my age in my profile?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

To be perfectly honest, yes.

I find it interesting all the jokes that exist out there, with a strong basis in truth, about having one's grandchildren "fix the computer" but when someone who fits that demographic offers advice the "he's/she's too young to know anything" attitude can kick in from a certain segment.

BTW, the "posted in another forum" probably has little to nothing to do with you.  People sometimes try to "paper the world" cyber speaking in an attempt to find help rather than following our convention here of "one computer, one problem, one forum" where a post will be moved to a more appropriate forum if this becomes indicated.

Edited by britechguy, 23 August 2017 - 01:30 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

FWIW:  I don't think of posting anything...as offering "advice."  Doing so would suggest that I know what is wrong with the OP's situation and that listening to what I state...is something that it's not.

I suggest...I ask...I reply.  Frankly, I've never given much thought to whether the OP pays attention to what I've stated...the OP has the freedom to ignore any/all comments by anyone...in her/his topic.  Consider this "the right to ignore, even when soliciting inputs from the membership."

Of course, that goes in the other direction also...members have the right to ignore any topic introduced requesting comments.

I see little point in tracking whether a given comment is ignored or treated as if I am God and everything I say are the Ten Commandments.  I just try to help where I think I can...and then move on to the next situation where I think that I can.  I have made a zillion posts in this and other forums...I do so with the intent of helping or informing but...my input is only half of a successful communication.  The other half lies with the intended recipient of that communication...and there is no way...nor would I wish to be able...to compel successful reception of the message sent.

The key thing not to lose sight of...it's the ATTEMPT to assist that's important...not the failure/success of said attempt.  The success/failure is out of your hands and in the hands of the OP...and that's the way that life works.

If you think that the success/failure of your messages...depends upon your avatar, your name, or some other mindless piece of trivia...if it depends on anything other than the attempt to send by you...and the attempt to receive by the OP or the audience...then I think you may have to get used to perceiving "disappointments", since such will appear throughout your life, in every corner.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

Louis posted simultaneously as my response didn't take. So...
To turn the coin, knowledge of a particular tech subject in a response to a question would have little to do with age for me. When offered and an OP chooses to focus on the latter rather than the former, their loss.

#5 Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Agent 007

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,962 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

Hey mate.

I also think that showing your face and age in public leads to that problem, but I personally would not care that much about it. If you have knowledge about a specific area of windows for example, the age does not matter - some people may think so, but I personally would ignore them. I can just support hamluis with his words: The key thing not to lose sight of...it's the ATTEMPT to assist that's important...not the failure/success of said attempt. 

I have also started with Malware Removal at your age, and now turned 20. When I was at your age, many persons laughed at me (mostly because of my age). But that was just extra motivation to do it even better than I did before. 

Currently, many users I assisted also searched help on other forums. I do not think that this was my fault, I just think that many people just want to hear a second opinion on their issues. That can be often frustrating for the helpers, but is also understandable to me.

In conclusion, that is your decision how to handle that but when I was at your age there was a german (I am from Germany) singer with the words:

Success has nothing to do with luck
But the result of blood, sweat and tears
Life repays everything eventually

I do not think you need to change yourself with editing your profile, you should take the positive side from it and do it even better and work harder and harder. I can just tell my motivation why I didn't hide anything from me in the past. I do not know if these words help, but at your age I was really sad about people which believed younger people do not know anything. And I lost my motivation with the time when I was at your age. I think the advice from the other people here are great.

EDIT: I hope it was not that much off topic. :P

Machiavelli

Edited by Machiavelli, 23 August 2017 - 01:54 PM.

~Machiavelli

If I don't reply within 24 hours please PM me!

• Every topic with no replies within 5 days will be closed.
  • If you like my help here please give me feedback.

unite_blue.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

All of the advice that's been offered so far is well worth considering.

Unlike hamluis I have always considered what I do in response to a situation as giving advice.   If someone says, "thing X is not working, how do I fix it," whether face-to-face or otherwise what I am offering in response is advice on how to proceed.

That being said, I also realize that someone soliciting advice is free to either take it or leave it, and that can be a very hard lesson to learn when one is on the advice giving side.  The easiest way to learn it, though, is to consider how one has taken or not taken advice over the course of one's life.

I hasten to add that my statement about the OP changing his avatar and hiding his age has to do with the realities of how the young are sometimes dismissed by the older, and I do not believe that's ever going to go away.   If one's goal is to be taken seriously in a cyber venue it is very simple to become "the respondent of unknown age and/or gender" if one so desires and I think doing so would likely achieve that goal.

HyperHenry is free to take that advice, or leave it.

Edited by britechguy, 23 August 2017 - 01:54 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

The key thing not to lose sight of...it's the ATTEMPT to assist that's important...not the failure/success of said attempt

Yes, that's exactly how I feel. Or at least why I do it. I have seen so many times I'll say something and then have an adult say the same thing and the adult gets a response. :hysterical:

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:59 PM

I have also started with Malware Removal at your age, and now turned 20. When I was at your age, many persons laughed at me (mostly because of my age). But that was just extra motivation to do it even better than I did before.

I have also thought of trying to learn malware removal. You whole post was very motivating. Thank you.

Also thank you to everybody else who has responded. I've learned a lot more just since coming here. I need to find a program to keep track of the new things I've learned so I can use them later.

Edited by HyperHenry, 23 August 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

The key thing not to lose sight of...it's the ATTEMPT to assist that's important...not the failure/success of said attempt

Yes, that's exactly how I feel. Or at least why I do it. I have seen so many times I'll say something and then have an adult say the same thing and the adult gets a response. :hysterical:

I say the following without a trace of snark or sarcasm:  Get used to it.  

You will find, regardless of your age, plenty of instances where your justifiable internal reaction is, "Hey, but I said that <X weeks, months, minutes, posts> ago!," when someone else says the same thing later and suddenly it's nuggets of gold.

You are young enough that I can suggest you ask your elders about this and, particularly, your female elders who are in professional positions and even more particularly in professional STEM-related positions.  You will get an earful, and a useful earful for someone your age to contemplate and integrate into his personal approach to things now and later.

~ Lauren Bacall

#10 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

You mention learning malware removal too. I know someone who is going through the training.
If you look through that topic, those closed/locked represent either an infection resolved or 'due to lack of feedback, this topic is closed'.
After spending the time to learn here (not easy if you read what's involved) and then volunteering to help someone clean their computer, oftentimes they will get that 'lack of feedback-topic closed', yet they tackle another post with the same dedication. My hat's off to them as some could easily become disheartened. Their efforts don't seem at all contingent on gratitude or recognition. 

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

That's funny, Henry, I actually thought that you are more trustworthy because of your photo. But in any case, you are defined here by the quality of your posts, which are always thoughtful and expert-esque. And don't forget, they all laughed...:)

#12 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

I really appreciate the responses. I do sometimes take things too personally. I've spent a lot of time learning about computers and how to fix them and always learn something new. My family travels to music festivals and every time we arrive at one I have at least 5 people bring me their computers to fix. I guess the people here don't know me or what I know. I probably won't apply to learn how to remove malware because fixing computers is not my chosen field. I want to be a meteorologist and weather researcher. Weather has always been another passion and subject of fascination. It will involve a lot of computers and I'm sure repairs but it won't be my primary job. I'll be 15 next month and have enough credits now to graduate and start college when I'm 16. (I'm homeschooled). From what I've heard the training takes a couple of years so when I finished I would no longer be available to use it.Since there was more advise not to change my photo I probably won't. Again I appreciate every reply.

Edited by HyperHenry, 23 August 2017 - 07:11 PM.

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:45 AM

Almost 15 and on his way to college. Friend, don't beat yourself up too much over anything, you sure as hell are doing much better than me at life. Good luck! :)

giphy.gif

Edited by Just_One_Question, 24 August 2017 - 05:46 AM.

#14 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:08 AM

@henry,

all you can do mate is give the advice with your best intentions.

it may be ignored, it may be unintentionally wrong, there will probably even be a better answer you didn't think of or know of.

you can only do what you can do.

I don't think changing your profile or avatar will make much difference, you have got to accept the skin you're in.

but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

if I had a dollar for every time something similar happened to me.....

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#15 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 711 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

I'm a little late to this party and it's slightly off topic, but I'm gonna join in anyway...

I wouldn't let the fact that you'll be going off to college and that you won't be going into computers keep you from joining the malware removal program. I am just starting my freshman year of college right now, and I'm going into mechanical engineering, not computer science. Yet I am still part of the malware program, and it has been very beneficial to me thus far in learning about how computers work, how malware works, and ways to combat malware and such. If you want to learn more about computers, I would definitely suggest that as a resource to you. And eventually you'll get to help others with the knowledge you get from the program.

As for your profile, I think I would go along with what other people have been saying, and leave what's on there. I'd also say that I'm more likely to trust someone who has a picture of themselves for their picture. And, as long as you're posting true and good advice, your age shouldn't matter. Just keep working at it and people will see that you're a reliable person!

I wish you good luck with your endeavors with meteorology, and it's rather impressive that you'll be going to college at 16!

Sasschary

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users