Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC Gaming Build Freezing Randomly

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 RazorCatalyst

RazorCatalyst

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

Hi there, I am new to this forums.

I recently posted my issue at TomsHardware, and after that have not gotten a reply after i updated it since.

Everything is new except the HDD, which is around 5-6 years old, only used it like 1-2 times since my old PC had a faulty motherboard.

Here are my specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Windows™ 10 64-bit (Installed on SSD)
ASUS Strix B250F Motherboard
Avexir Core Series DDR4-2400 CL16 2x8GB
MSI NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB Dual-Fan OC Edition
Samsung 850 Evo 120gb SSD
Pioneer APS-SM1 240GB M.2 2280 SSD SATA 6Gb/s
Western Digital Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Turbo; CPU Heatsink
Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600w

To be clear, I meant freezing as in my mouse and keyboard is unresponsive and i can only see the last image that is on the monitor; I have to do a hard reboot to get the PC working again.

It has been freezing at random times. Sometimes during light gaming, and work. Freezing can happen at most 3 times a day, or 1 at least. The longest no-freeze I had was around 1 week plus, and the freezing happens again. I noticed it to be freezing a lot during gaming; especially high demanding games like Rainbow Six Siege. So far, GTA V and Battlefield 1 has not caused my PC to freeze up to this day. 

Today, it froze 3 times. 2 times when playing Rainbow Six Siege, and it froze the 3rd time when i booted into BIOS; wanted to check on the cpu voltage.

I have researched a lot of forums about this issue and tried so many fixes or whatever it is to troubleshoot it. From, GPU stress testing, Prime95 tests, Memtests, unplugging my GPU and let it run on CPU graphics, reformatting many times.

I even took it to the shop to have it troubleshooted. Workshop guys mentioned that they did all the tests, and even let the PC run on GPU stress test for a few days (might be lying, Im not sure). Even let the PC turn on for about a week, and the PC did not even freeze.

I suspect as well that it could be my house electricity thats causing my PC to freeze as well.

I have even suspected so many stuffs that turned out to be wrong. I am at a total lost guys, can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

Please download and run Speccy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard. When it is finished click on file, publish snapshot, and the copy to clipboard. Paste the URL it creates here. The problem may be the HDD so I'd also suggest downloading and running the WD diagnostic test.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

Also, please let it freeze a couple of times, then recover by holding the power button down and restarting.
After doing this 2 or 3 times, please generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Edited by usasma, 23 August 2017 - 07:17 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 RazorCatalyst

RazorCatalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

Please download and run Speccy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard. When it is finished click on file, publish snapshot, and the copy to clipboard. Paste the URL it creates here. The problem may be the HDD so I'd also suggest downloading and running the WD diagnostic test.

Here you go. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/S86PR00oxBeneVwWAZjUqGF

#5 RazorCatalyst

RazorCatalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

Also, please let it freeze a couple of times, then recover by holding the power button down and restarting.

Please do the following:
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Ok sure will generate the event viewer report soon after inducing them freezes on my PC.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

There are 75 running services of svchost which concerns me a lot.

#7 RazorCatalyst

RazorCatalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

There are 75 running services of svchost which concerns me a lot.

Interesting, anyway to diagnose whats causing the services to run?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

There is no set limit...as to the number of services which may exist on a given system.

Let's see what USASMA thinks, after receiving the requested data.

Louis

#9 RazorCatalyst

RazorCatalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

There is no set limit...as to the number of services which may exist on a given system.

Let's see what USASMA thinks, after receiving the requested data.

Louis

Ok noted.

#10 RazorCatalyst

RazorCatalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

Please do the following:

Ok heads up, I tried inducing the freezing by playing Rainbow Six Siege for 2 hours at least, so far there is no freezing. Really strange. Do you still want the logs or only save it when freezing occurs?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

You can upload the logs anyway.

I use the point where you recover (it generates a Critical event with an EventID 41 event when you force the shutdown), to start my search for events that are serious enough to cause this problem and that they repeat just prior to the EventID 41 event.  I look for several of them so I can compare them.

Often, the things that one does with the system while trying to fix it can make the "pattern hunting" more difficult.  That's why I ask for it to be done after some recent crashes/freezes.
Still on systems that can't do it, I just ask for the logs and hope for the best.

I also in those cases, ask for this report:

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 RazorCatalyst

RazorCatalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

Here you go, attached is the zip file and here is the link.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ZsNr0Zb75QFw0xysABihuph

Attached Files

Edited by RazorCatalyst, 24 August 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#13 RazorCatalyst

RazorCatalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

And the event viewer file

Attached Files

#14 RazorCatalyst

RazorCatalyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

Oops, I forgot to add something. I received a BSOD once, but it was too fast for me to catch the what was the code. I went into event viewer and managed to get what was it. Something related to clock watchdog timeout. Thanks.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:09 AM

I didn't see anything that I thought significant in the Admin log file

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 0809) dates from July of 2017.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Several crashes caused by IOMap64.sys - this is a driver for ASUS Kernel Mode Driver/Asus Smart Doctor/iTracker 2 Asus GPU Tweak and GPU Tweak Streaming

I'd suggest uninstalling the Asus software and seeing if that stops your problems.

More info on this driver here: 

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.
NOTE2:  The latest version has an SPTD2.sys driver - the uninstaller is on the same page as the SPTD.sys driver - just download the version for W10!

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

The point of doing this is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

MSI Afterburner (along with EVGA Precision and Riva Tuner) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

If that doesn't fix things, post back and we'll try some other tests.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users