Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some USB Ports intermittently failing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 komgol

komgol

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

Hello.

This is my first time posting here.  Please let me know if I'm using the incorrect format, or if you need any additional information from me and I'll be happy to provide it.

I have a Windows 10 machine that for the past several months has had an issue where the USB Wifi device will intermittently stop functioning.  My PC will play the 'Device Disconnect' sound and stop recognizing that I have a USB Wifi device.  However, my USB mouse and keyboard continue to function normally.  I have tried changing which USB ports my wifi card is connected to and this does not fix the issue.  Once I restart my PC my wifi functions normally again - for a while.  Within a few hours the issue will happen again and I'll have to restart to remedy the issue.

If anybody could please help me identify the root cause of this issue I would really appreciate it.

I don't know if it's helpful, but I have attached my DxDiag

Thank you,

-Dan

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

I would try the following.

Firstly, disable fast startup even though it probably is not related to your issue. It can cause other issues.

Second. Disable Selective Suspend.

Right click the USB adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Power Management tab make sure the box next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is unchecked.

Set your Power Configuration to Maximum Performance. 

Sometimes Windows 10 gets confused if both USB Wifi and LAN is enabled. In Device Manager right click on your LAN adapter and select disable, not uninstall, to disable the LAN adapter. 

After doing the above reboot and see how the USB adapter performs. 

#3 komgol

komgol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply JohnC_21.  I've made the changes that you suggested and I've so far not seen any issues.  I will reply here if the issue occurs again :)

#4 zacharycat

zacharycat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:17 PM

John-

Have the same problem and searched the site before posting. I tried your method and so far it is working, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users