Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic backup to external drive - How you'd do it

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 loadedmind

loadedmind

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

Hey all.  I realize there are a few choices out there that can get the job done, but I'm wondering what the experts do.  

The scenario is I have a VM (a la ESX server) running Windows 7 that's primary purpose is to handle finances - namely Quicken.  I'm going to schedule an automatic backup every week on Friday to an external hard drive mounted to the VM constantly.  Then, send that backup (either through a script that checks a directory or set schedule) to cloud - the Google Drive we're paying for that gives us 100GB of storage.  

For those of you that use software that requires backing up similarly, how do you get the job done?  Which backup software is you preference and why?  I've been looking at a couple of solutions, but haven't landed squarely on one yet.  So far, Ayomei Backupper, Kobian and Freecommander are the ones at the forefront of the choices.  Preferably free or less than $100.  Or I could find a Powershell script that could probably accomplish something similar if time permitted.  

TIA

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2017 - 12:30 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

I have only used Macrium Free and Aomei Backupper for complete disk images and some folder backup. I am not sure if they offer cloud backup. I have not used Easeus Todo Backup Free but it does offer Cloud Backup to Google drive and also syncs. It offers file/folder backup for both incremental and differential on a schedule. For you use you may prefer the paid version which is not very expensive and in your budget.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/features/backup-to-cloud.htm

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/comparison.htm

Edit: It's my understanding the Aomei also offers cloud backup so either Aomei or Easeus would be a good choice but Easues offers a more intuitive interface for file/folder backup. Aomei only allows you to pick files folders one at a time.

file-backup-1.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2017 - 09:21 AM.

#3 loadedmind

loadedmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

Thanks JohnC.  Really appreciate the info.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

Your Welcome, and please post an update if you have the time after you decide which software to go with and how it performed. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users