Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CrashPlan ~ Consumer Service Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

CrashPlan is shutting down its cloud backup service for consumers
by Chris Welch  Aug 22, 2017, 1:13pm EDT

<-snip->

CrashPlan is making an immediate pivot to focus its cloud backup service exclusively on businesses, and the company is planning to shut down its consumer-facing “CrashPlan for Home” product as a result. That process will last several months, but effective immediately, CrashPlan has already stopped accepting new consumer users and won’t allow existing non-business customers to renew their backup plan.

<-snip->

For those in search of a new cloud backup home, CrashPlan recommends Carbonite as a replacement and has worked out a referral deal to get a 50 percent discount on Carbonite for Home and Carbonite Core subscriptions for those moving over.

But I’d personally go for Backblaze — and the company is more than happy to accept expelled CrashPlan customers.

Full article: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/22/16184430/crashplan-home-shutting-down

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SkyLinx

SkyLinx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:19 AM

It's really really annoying. I have used it for many years to backup my desktop and laptops because it is affordable, reliable (I've done a restore a few times with no issues), and supports Linux and Local + P2P backups. 

I don't trust this company anymore after this move so I decided I won't upgrade to their business plan, which costs twice as much; the "recommended" alternative, Carbonite, has a horrible reputation, many limitations and doesn't support Linux.

I am now trying CloudBerry using Backblaze B2 as storage backend; it's cheap, and supports Linux and local backups as well as to cloud. 

What are you guys using? If you are using Crashplan, what are you going to use now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users