Hi, just joined today and sorry if I break any rules. Still learning.
Using a 5 year old Gigabyte laptop with 4gb ram, 250mb SSD. Modle Q2532M
Not long after Win10 arrived I upgraded from win7 which was awesome and increibally stable. I do admit I love win10 even better, but unfortunately it comes with too much baggage in the form of bugs. This is what happens from the outset...
- Boots normally and appears to get past the bios process, but then, soon after the blue windows flag appears, ( so display adapter does still work) the screen goes blank but appears more like a dark gray color with some slight back lighting present. A few moments later I finally get to the desktop because I can hear the Win10 desktop default sound. So at this stage I have my desktop, but just cant see it. I had 3 different MS Tech's try through LogMeIn to fix it but all failed. They told me to go back to win7 or buy a new laptop.
- Later through some forums I found a bandaide fix by simply pressing the OFF button to put it to sleep, and then pressing again to wake up... and when it wakes up, there appears my desktop in full view. I have tolerated this fix for 18 months now but am hoping MS has a fix, but I still cant find it.
- Now recently (about 2 months ago) win10 did an update and since then I have no wifi because some how it switches it off on boot and I need to use the FN+F2 keys to get it back on. Even so, I was still tolerating it until now where nothing will bring wifi back. So nwhat I have now is a 5 year old Gigabyte laptop in great working order that cant use win10 successfully, but I have 2 other older laptops and 3 desktops 8+ years old, all working [perfectly with win10.
- Now, I had always done backup images so am able to still go back to win7 in a few minutes where everything works perfectly, so I dont see a display problem really.
- I have since found where the problem occurs and why... but not how to fix it. First it boots into BIOS ok, then immediately afyter the blue win10 flag appears, for some strange reason it switches from the blue windows flag on the laptop display, to an external monitor that is not even conected. Like a ghost monitor lol. When connexting an ext monitor to start with... I see all on both monitors up to the blue flag, then the laptop goes blank but the ext monitor is fine.
So sorry for this long winded story, but am desperate to get this fixed before I go buy a new laptop and throw away this great Gigabyte laptop in perfect working order.
Thanks for any help I can get here.... Mike.
Oh, forgot to mention, have recently installed Linux Mint 10,2V as a duel boot and it works fine, It cant be the BIOS cause it gets past it, to the point where I choose wich OS to use. If I choose Linux... no prpblems... if I choose win 10... then 3 seconds later the display disappears.
Edited by strikemaster, 22 August 2017 - 07:10 PM.