Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sound coming from speakers when headphones connected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

Using Linux 17.2 on Sony Vaio (2011) 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD

Encrypted HDD.

Sound comes from speakers even though headphones connected.

This happened after I installed Virtualbox with Win 7

VirtualBox was installed inside Veracrypt standard volume.

I then tried to install AC97 to Win 7 but sound was still no good through Win7

This is when the problem seemed to start.

So I uninstalled Win 7 and Virtual Box and the Veracrypt volume they were contained in.

But sound still coming from speakers when headphone connected when I listen to youtube videos.

Sound comes from both speakers and headphones. So headphones are working.

Suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:53 AM

Sounds to be a misconfiguration somewhere, virtual machine software can do some weird things at times. :)

The good is that both your speakers & headphones are working. From what I gather, you desire these to be controlled independent (the norm). You may want to play around with the Sound options, or reset if possible, this would re-enable the default, all sources being independent. Getting there is the tricky part. 

Make sure that all of the VirtualBox configuration is removed, you can search for these in the Package Manager. If any VirtualBox setting is checked, uninstall these, all of them, removal of the Windows 7 VM doesn't remove VirtualBox itself. Then run sudo apt autoclean & reboot to see what you come up with. If no progress, may need to install the Pulse Audio package for precise control, although this could be a hassle if frequently switching between headphones & speakers. A reset of the audio components is likely what you need. hopefully others will have a suggestion on how to get there through Linux. 

One suggestion may also to reinstall the audio components, codecs, whatever these are termed & hopefully that would solve the issue.......as long as in the future, you steer clear of what caused the troubles. I doubt that drive encryption done this, VirtualBox likely had more to do with the issue. as that was another OS, although virtual, having control over your audio.

Please try the suggestions above, hopefully more will see your Topic & have further input. :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Sounds to be a misconfiguration somewhere, virtual machine software can do some weird things at times. :)

The good is that both your speakers & headphones are working. From what I gather, you desire these to be controlled independent (the norm). You may want to play around with the Sound options, or reset if possible, this would re-enable the default, all sources being independent. Getting there is the tricky part. 

Make sure that all of the VirtualBox configuration is removed, you can search for these in the Package Manager. If any VirtualBox setting is checked, uninstall these, all of them, removal of the Windows 7 VM doesn't remove VirtualBox itself. Then run sudo apt autoclean & reboot to see what you come up with. If no progress, may need to install the Pulse Audio package for precise control, although this could be a hassle if frequently switching between headphones & speakers. A reset of the audio components is likely what you need. hopefully others will have a suggestion on how to get there through Linux. 

One suggestion may also to reinstall the audio components, codecs, whatever these are termed & hopefully that would solve the issue.......as long as in the future, you steer clear of what caused the troubles. I doubt that drive encryption done this, VirtualBox likely had more to do with the issue. as that was another OS, although virtual, having control over your audio.

Please try the suggestions above, hopefully more will see your Topic & have further input. :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Thanks for these suggestions.

I removed the Win 7 and have no  virtual box running and deleted the veracrypt folder in which they were housed.

The problem persisted a little after I did this then disappeared. Fingers crossed.

Can you tell me a bit more about what autoclean does?

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:20 AM

Autoclean purges no longer used files, such as leftovers of no longer installed packages, browser leftovers/components from previous versions, old Linux images no longer used by very old kernels, not to worry, it won't hose your OS. I use the command monthly on my Linux systems as maintenance & when there's 2-3 new kernels installed, will open the kernels tab in the Update panel & delete the very old ones, usually any 4.4 & some of the oldest 4.8 ones (you'll be prompted to confirm action with each, will look like the update process is running during removal), although I keep the last two prior to the current one for 'just in case'. Be sure to run 'sudo update-grub' & reboot afterwards, and only uninstall the oldest of kernels, if you choose that option. You don't have to run the 'sudo update-grub' command if only the autoclean command is ran, although it does no harm to reboot. 

You'll get a warning of some type if there were major or potentially adverse file changes, would be prompted to type Y/n (Yes or no) to proceed, certain updates will prompt for this answer. If running 'sudo apt autoclean' weren't safe, I'd not recommend running the command, my intention & advise are to assist others, not break anyone's OS.

Hopefully your audio continues to work to your satisfaction. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

Here's an example, just cleaned my system after updating. :)

Spoiler

Hope this is helpful to you! :thumbup2:

Cat

#6 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

Here's an example, just cleaned my system after updating. :)

Spoiler

Hope this is helpful to you! :thumbup2:

Cat

Thanks for this info.

I will use autoclean, but I will not mess with kernels. Way above my pay grade.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:22 AM

That's OK, there's no need to mess with the kernels, once you upgrade to a later version of the distro, the old ones will be purged anyway. :)

Hope that your VAIO holds up a long time, many owners of these models agrees these are reliable workhorse notebooks. :thumbup2:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users