Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 restart after boot problem

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 szymciu

szymciu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hello,

I just bought a PC, self assembly, about one week ago.

Specs below the post, DxDiag and System Logs in attachement.

I have a peculiar problem, Windows restarts after every 'first' boot and then operates normally.

At the beginning I had another problem that may and may not be related.

I couldn't install AMD drivers. I pinpointed the problem to RAID drivers.

Every time the installer (express or manually one by one) reached the RAID driver computer crashed and rebooted.

Then I used the AMD Cleanup Utility and installed them without any problems with disabled Driver Signature Enforcement - google helped.

Everything went smoothly and installed perfectly.

So what happens is:

I turn on the PC, BIOS shows up etc. Windows Boots. Lock screen shows up.

Option A:

I type the password. 

No desktop icons. (Probably when I type it very quickly after lock screen shows up.)

Some clicking on the empty desktop.

Almost immediate restart.

Option B:
I type the password less hasty.

Desktop icons show up.

I don't wait and immediately launch a program. Chrome for example and load some webpage.

Sudden restart! Without any glitch or anything to suggest there's any problem, just sudden black screen and sound of fans reving up.

Option C:
I type the password less hasty.

I don't touch anything until all tray icons show up and windows cursor stops showing any kind of system activity.

Then launch before-mentioned Chrome and then after a minute or two BOOM! Restart. Again without any warning signs. Fans humming.

Option D:
I leave the lock screen intact for a short time.

Restart anyway.

After the reboot BIOS checks the drives (luckily without any problems) Windows boots I choose the least hasty option and system works fine. No restarts. :bananas:

Issue is getting me more and more frustrated. I wonder about reinstalling the windows entirely but on the other hand I don't have the time for this.

I'm also afraid that I may desynchronize my RAID somehow - stupid I know but I'm sensitive about the data there.

In attachment there's DxDiag and System Logs from Management section of last 3 boots with restarts.

No BSODs. No other problems.

PC Specs: (Multimedia Home - Workstation)

Gigabyte AORUS GA-AX370-GAMING 5

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X

AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100

4x - Corsair 8GB 2400MHz ValueSelect ( CMV8GX4M1A2400C16) - bought in a single batch

M.2 SSD Samsung 960 PRO 512 GB (MZ-V6P512BW)

2x - UEFI RAID 1 - Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" (WD20EFRX)

Asus Xonar RoG Phoebus Solo Gamer (90-YAA0M2-0UAN0BZ)

Windows 10 Professional PL 64-bit

Attached File  System Logs + DxDiag.zip   25.91KB   1 downloads

Please help  :)

Best regards!

Szymon (Simon) Koczowski

Edited by szymciu, 23 August 2017 - 01:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

Is this computer completing the P.O.S.T. (Power On Self Test)?

Please do the following and let me know what happens when you restart the computer.

Press the Windows key and the R key to open the Run box, then type in control and press OK.

Select Power Options, click/tap on Choose what the Power buttons do.

Highlighted in blue you will see Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Under Shutdown settings remove the check from the box for Turn on fast startup (recommended), then click/tap on Save changes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 szymciu

szymciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

I do believe so - if POST was not completed I would get a notification right?

LCD display on the mainboard changes numbers until 33 and then stays that way.

Manual says it's CPU PEI Initialization.

I changed the setting. Restarted. Clicked like crazy and nothing happened :)

System logs from today in attachment.

Today about 15:00 i turned on the PC and went to the kitchen for a couple of minutes. I think it happened without the reboot (I don't get it now).

Then I changed the settings and clicked restart the PC. Then shutdown and a regular boot.

Attached Files

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

1. If the POST was not completed I would get a notification right?

2. I changed the setting. Restarted. Clicked like crazy and nothing happened.

3. Today about 15:00 i turned on the PC and went to the kitchen for a couple of minutes. I think it happened without the reboot (I don't get it now).

4. Then I changed the settings and clicked restart the PC. Then shutdown and a regular boot.

1. If the POST fails you will not receive any message, if the POST fails you can't boot into Windows.  Since the operating system can't boot the computer will not run. 

2. I'm hoping that this you mean that you turned of the Fast startup?  What are  you clicking on and why?

3. Does this mean that the computer is not now trying to restart after initially failing to?

4. What settings did you change?  When you restarted the computer did it boot properly, if not what happened?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 szymciu

szymciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

1. OS boots - POST is ok then.

2. I turned off the Fast Setup. Sorry for a non-conclusive info. Windows booted perfectly well, I started clicking like crazy to see if I could reproduce the issue. Nothing happened as of nothing bad :) Windows works normally.

3. It means that today after I went back home, before changing Fast Setup setting I turned it on, left it for a couple of minutes and I think there was no restart - previously there have always been one.

4. By 'then' I mean After booting the PC when I got back home. I changes the Fast setup setting to OFF. Then performed manual reboot wia Start menu, then a shutdown and a boot. It looks as if it booted properly and does not restart unexpectedly.

Sorry again for messy answer. 

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:21 AM

So... the computer is working properly now?

#7 szymciu

szymciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

It seems so.

Thank you very much dc3, first of his name, father of troubleshooting :)

I appreciate the help.

Best regards :)

Szymon

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

Glad to be of assistance. :thumbup2:

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

Hi, yes we have had problems with fast start, many turn it off and leave it that way, although it is good to have a computer start as fast as it does with fast start enabled.

If you want to get it back, your problem is most likely with a corrupt hiberfil.sys file (windows hibernate file), go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

powercfg -h off  (press enter) This will turn off hibernate. Restart computer and go back to a cmd prompt as admin (as shown) and type:-

powercfg -h on (press enter) This will turn hibernate back on and in so doing it will empty the hiberfil.sys file and create a new one, removing any corruption. You will then need to re enable fast start. 

One good way of analyzing power issues is to open a cmd prompt as admin (as shown) and type:-

powercfg -energy (press enter) a 60 sec run will happen and a report will be produced, have a good look through it. 

#10 szymciu

szymciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:35 AM

jenae

It seems hiberfil file was indeed corrupted. I did what you asked and after enabling fast start computer seems to work fine.

I will observe and see if the fix is permanent.

Best regards :)

SK

#11 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:49 AM

Hi, yes we have had problems with fast start, many turn it off and leave it that way, although it is good to have a computer start as fast as it does with fast start enabled.

If you want to get it back, your problem is most likely with a corrupt hiberfil.sys file (windows hibernate file), go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

powercfg -h off  (press enter) This will turn off hibernate. Restart computer and go back to a cmd prompt as admin (as shown) and type:-

powercfg -h on (press enter) This will turn hibernate back on and in so doing it will empty the hiberfil.sys file and create a new one, removing any corruption. You will then need to re enable fast start. 

One good way of analyzing power issues is to open a cmd prompt as admin (as shown) and type:-

powercfg -energy (press enter) a 60 sec run will happen and a report will be produced, have a good look through it. 

Thank you, that is brilliant.

#12 szymciu

szymciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:12 AM

Jeane I have some bad news. Today my computer did the vary same thing :(
I turned off the hibernation and it took him almost 3 minutes to boot.

I'm turning on hibernation but leaving fast start off.

Please advice :)

#13 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:46 AM

Hi, yes many computers have problems with fast start. I have it turned off on my own machines since I do a lot of modifying I need the changes to take, so for changes to take you have to restart (windows updates always restart your computer). You did restart to apply your changes?

Restart for me is not much more then 5-6 secs slower then fast start, so it is of little concern for me. Did you run the powercfg -energy cmd I suggested, it may shed some light on the problem. Sometimes it is poor code from a third party util that causes the problem so try a clean boot:-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

#14 szymciu

szymciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

The time of boot is not a concern to me. More of an issue is restart problem with fast start turned on. My Windows Update settings are set to additional notofications on restarts and I set the working hours so that should not be related anyway.

But let me clarify:

PC was working properly for a couple of boots.

Just after the mentioned unexpected reset with fast start setting turned on I logged in, opened CMD and turned hibernation off.

Then rebooted through start menu. That particular reboot took about 3 minutes and then everything was booting properly within ~1 minute time after a shutdown.

I did try the powercfg function and there was nothing to be worried about :)
Should I just leave fast start off?

#15 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

Hi, yes as I said many people turn it off, if it is giving you problems I would leave it off, maybe test again after another major windows update (due sept). Did you try a clean boot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users