Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering System Partition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 shaman0909

shaman0909

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

My absent mindness caused me this problem. Any help appreciated. 

I was having issue with my usb not formatting to full capacity. So I was reading this thread:

Now I completely missed the fact that the usb stick was disk 2 and not disk 1, I ran the delete partition command. So now the partition 1 is gone and I can't see the disk under "My Computer" even though it shows up in disk manager just fine.

device.jpg

I downloaded Easeus partition manager and the pointed partition shows the data is intact. But I can't figure out what to do make the disk appear in windows. 

easeus.jpg

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2017 - 02:38 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

Did you also format the partition as shown in that link? Is so then your chances of recovering data is much smaller. 

Download Aomei Partition Assistant Free. Install and run the Partition Recovery Wizard. Follow this guide. Do a Quick Search first. If it finds your partition check the box and click on the button that says explore files in this partition. This is very important. If you do not see your files do not click on Proceed > Finish. Do a Deeper Search which will take a long time on a 1TB drive. IF you see all your files on any partitions found then you can check the box next to the partition(s) found and then Proceed > Finish.

If Aomei does not find your partitions then there is other software that can used to attempt to recover the partitions.

#3 shaman0909

shaman0909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

Yes I ran the "DELETE PARTITION" before I realized my mistake. I got the Aomei software and it shows me the partition where the data is stored:

aomei.jpg

but doesn't show me anything when trying to do fast search. Currently I am trying the deep search. If that doesn't work, the only option is to recover and format? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

You can try scanning with Testdisk for Windows. See the following Step by Step. Drive nomenclature is different as Testdisk is based on linux. Your external could be sdb or sdc. On any partitions found highlight and press the "P" key. Do not write anything. Post back if you see your files. If you have a drive with enough free space to recover all files on the drive with the missing partition unzip the Testdisk folder to that drive. The default location of file recovery is the folder you unzipped Testdisk to.

If Testdisk cannot find your partitions then you will need to either use PhotoRec which is part of Testdisk located in the Testdisk folder you unzipped. The downside of Testdisk is it recovers all files with generic names and the correct extension so any files recovered need to be renamed. Recovery is done in real time so the recovery drive needs to have more free space than the data that will be recovered from the source drive. The default location of recovery is the folder you unzipped Testdisk to.

Purchased software that can scan and recover file names would be Easeus Data Recovery and Minitools Data Recovery.

#5 shaman0909

shaman0909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

I ran all the steps and the disk type is sdb. Partition type is EFI GPT. After analysis it shows me this:

testdisk4.jpg

The data is present in basic data partition. I got around to disk management and it shows:

disk2.jpg

So everything looks fine but the disk is not showing up on windows. Chkdsk is failing with "cannot open volume for direct access"

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

Highlight Basic Data Partition and Press "P". Do you see your files?

#7 shaman0909

shaman0909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:20 PM

Yep, I can see my files. 

disk.jpg

I understand from the Step by Step guide that if something appears twice it might be corrupted - the MS reserved partition. When I check testdisk against disk manager it shows one missing partition. Is there a way to repair that? 

Edited by shaman0909, 22 August 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

If you can see your files the best approach would first be to copy them to your drive. You can select files/folders by highlighting and pressing the ":" key. After selection press upper case "C" to copy and "C" again to confirm. This will copy the directory structure to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. Once your files are copied then we can see about writing an new partition table. If it fails you still have the files you copied. If you have a spare empty drive with the capacity of the data you can copy all files/folder in one step by pressing lower case "a".

Just to confirm, this is an external drive or an internal drive that is not the bootable drive, correct? The reason I ask is because an external drive even formatted as a GPT disk should not need a EFI system partition and a MSR partition. Those partitions are used on a disk that boots a Windows OS. You have a ESP on both disk 0 and disk 1 which is not normally done. Did disk 1 have an OS installed at one time?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 August 2017 - 08:28 AM.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

Also, be aware that if one has been creating, saving, editing, saving files, TestDisk and other programs might well find 4-5 copies of the same filename but with different modify-dates.  At least that has been my experience with testing data recovery on small HDs.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 shaman0909

shaman0909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:41 AM

If you can see your files the best approach would first be to copy them to your drive. You can select files/folders by highlighting and pressing the ":" key. After selection press upper case "C" to copy and "C" again to confirm. This will copy the directory structure to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. Once your files are copied then we can see about writing an new partition table. If it fails you still have the files you copied. If you have a spare empty drive with the capacity of the data you can copy all files/folder in one step by pressing lower case "a".

Just to confirm, this is an external drive or an internal drive that is not the bootable drive, correct? The reason I ask is because an external drive even formatted as a GPT disk should not need a EFI system partition and a MSR partition. Those partitions are used on a disk that boots a Windows OS. You have a ESP on both disk 0 and disk 1 which is not normally done. Did disk 1 have an OS installed at one time?

Yes, this an internal HDD was bundled with the laptop and bought a crucial SSD later. The data was cloned from the HDD to SSD. So the booting is currently from the SSD ie C: drive. I did not format the HDD just in case the SSD failed at some point of time. 

Files were successfully copied to an external disk. Thankfully the disk is not used for creating and editing. The copy process was smooth and did not find copies with multiple modified dates. 

Now we can proceed on creating the table? Thanks

Edited by shaman0909, 24 August 2017 - 02:42 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

Yes, If you see two MSRs in the list after doing the quick scan I would do the following.

Highlight the second MSR and use the left/right arrow keys until P is D. Highlight Write then Y to confirm. Reboot and hopefully you have your partitions back. 

I am not sure what the two unknown partitions are but I would leave them.

Note: From your image from post #5, it does not look like the scan was done as the partitions found should be in green. 

If the partition table write fails I would do the following and I would probably do the following even if you were able to save the partition table. Because this is not a DATA disk I would not format it GPT as it's only 1TB. GPT is required to access anything over 2TB  or as that is the MBR limit. GPT is also required to boot a UEFI computer.

Download Partition Wizard. Delete All Partitions. This will essentially wipe all data on the disk. Create a new Primary Partition formatted NTFS. Now you have a DATA disk with not EFI or MSR. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 August 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#12 shaman0909

shaman0909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

This is what it looked like after a quick scan:

jj.jpg

I am confused on which partition should I run the process. 

Edited by shaman0909, 24 August 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

I would use the arrow keys to change

The first MS Data partition labeled HDD to P from D

The fourth MS Data partition labeled WINRETools to P from D

The last MS Data partition labeled image to P from D

The second and third MS Data partitions are overlapping with the HDD partition and should not be changed.

Leave the EFI system partition as P (Primary).

After changing the three partitions from D to P (primary) click Enter to continue. Highlight Write then Enter.

I don't see the MSR partition in the Quick Search but it may not be required for what we are using the disk for.

Reboot and hopefully you have your partitions back. If not then I think you should use Partition Wizard to partition and reformat the disk. Good Luck. If it does succeed we can use Partition Wizard to clean up the partitions that are not needed. 

Note: Only do this if you are sure all your data has been recovered.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Once you get your files back, it is best if you test a few from each category by the originating program to make sure said programs can actually read from, write to, etc. the recovered files presently existing on recovery external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 shaman0909

shaman0909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

With all my files recovered, I went ahead and deleted all partitions and creating primary all over again. So no more windows booting from the disk. Then copied files from the backup. Thanks for the help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users