Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low budget, low consumption SERVER

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DerekCZ

DerekCZ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

Let me describe my current situation. 

I want to make a basic server to do two tasks; host Transport Tycoon and FTP servers. None of them really requires that much computing power and my connection is fast enough, I would assign those tasks to my current PC, but it was built to do some serious gaming so it consumes more power on idle than I want my server to consume while servering. Actualy right now, while I am just writing this with chrome open it's eating up 120W.

I searched my entire house and nearby places for components that I could use to make that server for basicaly free, but I ended up with some 2000's graphics cards, 1GB of RAM combined and no PSU. However, local school was getting rid of it's servers from which I managed to scavange six Xeon CPUs, four 32-bit 5150s and two unnamed (Intel Xeon '04) ones, I suspect they are 64-bit, single-core 3.40GHz, socket 604.

So as you can see I have nothing right now, except a bit of money that I would like to invest in that server. Any advice to get the cheapest-to-buy and cheapest-to-run server would be very appreciated. If you have some ideas for what I can do with those Xeons, that would also help (maybe).

I am not afraid to buy old used stuff from ebay, I actualy went to the local scrap materials place and searched some computers there while it was raining on me (and those computers), so yeah...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

It might help to host the required specifications to host Transport Tycoon.  Even though you say server you don't need Xeons, an i3 or Raspberry Pi might suit your purposes.

#3 DerekCZ

DerekCZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:04 AM

I don't think any official requirements were ever released, but it heavily depends on which map size I want to use, starting from 64x64 tiles to 4096x4096 or so.

About the Raspberry Pi, I also looked at it, but I think that it's CPU and RAM is just not enough...

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

Xeon 5150, if I'm reading your post right you have a number of these, are 64 bit processors.  https://ark.intel.com/products/27218/Intel-Xeon-Processor-5150-4M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

They are from the "Core" era, so essentially similar to a 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo in performance.  They do optionally work in dual processor setups.  No doubt you could find a suitable used motherboard and memory to get a working system based on them.  I don't know anything about what running a Transport Tycoon server demands in terms of performance, but have no reason to think these couldn't perform light server duties.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

While the Raspberry Pi might not work for the game server, it should suit for FTP.

#6 DerekCZ

DerekCZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:01 AM

While the Raspberry Pi might not work for the game server, it should suit for FTP.

Yes, it can handle that really well, especialy when combined with high internet speeds and an SSD. I just dropped the transport tycoon idea, it is an old game not optimized for new hardware and runnig it just requires a proper CPU with very high single-core performace, which means high power consumption...

Edited by DerekCZ, 25 August 2017 - 07:01 AM.

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

I would recommend the Banana Pi. It is more powerful than a Raspberry Pi and has a Sata port.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users