Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mark Cuban ~ New Cryptocurrency Fund

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

Interesting ~ are you in?

<-snip->

Article from 8-22-2017

Mark Cuban is singing a different tune when it comes to cryptocurrencies.

The tech billionaire and "Shark Tank" star is an early backer of a new cryptocurrency fund, according to CoinDesk, which reports on blockchain and cryptocurrency news.

The fund, 1confirmation, launched Tuesday, plans to invest exclusively in cryptocurrency assets, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.Its founder, Nick Tomaino, a principal at the $270 million Palo Alto-based investor Runa Capital, 
is looking to raise $20 million.

Full article here: http://www.businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-backs-new-cryptocurrency-fund-2017-8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

Mark Cuban is a fun guy, but he is not that great of an investor - he's the epitome of a dot-com successfully-lucky kid billionaire, who got out right on time. I don't know if you watch HBO's comedy TV show Silicon Valley, but they've managed to portray in a pretty spectacular way Mark Cuban through the character Russ Hanneman. In the series he's constantly bragging how his company which brought radio on the Internet (read Broadcast.com) was bought out by AOL (read Yahoo!) and he made a sh*t ton of money all at once from a venture that never made any profit. He even insists that the start-up that he is funding in the show never makes any revenue so that it always stays pre-revenue and thus keeps its potentially unlimited revenue theorized worth; it's ridiculous. :lmao:

I don't think crypto-currencies are worth anything, but I recognize that I am not particularly knowledgeable on this topic, so I will restrain from giving any opinions on it. However, it must be said that even if you believe it is worth something, it is generally a bad idea to jump in when things are peaking, as they are right now. I would stay as far as possible from those Internet currencies and from almost the whole tech sector as well. It is notorious for constantly producing nothing but dumb products for the past century or so, with actual good bargains appearing only at a rate of about once per a decade.

People like Mark Cuban non-stop chase hype not value. This is not investing, it's speculating, or, at best, carefully investing at the right time in social trends. :)

Here's some clips of Russ Hanneman from HBO's Silicon Valley. Caution: Some profanity involved.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 22 August 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users