Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop for digital art

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uTgh4K33

uTgh4K33

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for the help!

I'm copying the provided sheet. In short, I have a very well equiped desktop that I use for digital ilustration, video editing and 3D modeling / sculpting, but I plan to have a laptop too, so I can move to differents events that take place in my country (comic cons, game cons & jams, festivals, board games demos, and wherever I can find interesting projects).

Thanks again for taking the time to give me some advice!

Laptop or Desktop? Laptop!

My budget for the new computer is:  200 - 600 € 

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?     To make my digital ilustrations, video editions and maybe some 3D sculpting.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?             Mostly Photoshop, maybe some another software like Corel Painter for ilustrations and cómic ; After effects for video ; Maya, I'm sure I could still find use for this one ; and probably Zbrush.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?           Not usually, and I've got another computer for that.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?           Sometimes I have 2 or 3 + browser, I don't expect the same performance in a laptop but some works would need 2 at the same time.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?        Lots of pictures for reference galleries, a lot of space is always useful (but not really a need)

Will you be overclocking?  Nope.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?    Andalucía, Spain.

How many monitors are you planning to use?      Just 1.

Do you need peripherals? OS?         I plan to use my HUION tablet. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 uTgh4K33

uTgh4K33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the answer, Nickos. I know the best I can grab is something like a macbook, but as you said, they are quite expensive. I don't expect it to be as good as my desktop, obviously, but I'm trying to find something just good enought so I can use Photoshop and After effects by themselves, at least. I'm not looking for the best performance, only something that's reasonably stable so I don't waste my money, but my main work will be on the desktop. 

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Hello,

Where do you plan to shop for these laptops? I don't know any of the prices where you are so this is a little more difficult.

Acer has a pretty good recertified laptop program. I'm not sure if they ship to Spain however. https://acerrecertified.com/

http://acerrecertified.com/acer-15-6-intel-core-i7-2-5-ghz-8-gb-ram-256gb-ssd-windows-10-home-f5-573g-7791

Would this be similar to what you would want? 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 uTgh4K33

uTgh4K33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

Hello again. Captain Chicken, I don't specially like Acer, but the model you posted is close to what I want, that's one to have in mind, thanks =]

Nickos, I already own a desktop, a very good one, but I've been thinking about traveling and going to the events related to comic, ilustration and games around my country, that's why I'm looking for a laptop. 

#5 uTgh4K33

uTgh4K33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

I'm reading some reviews about the Acer model, most are good due to a nice performance, but a deeper one shows the weak point of this one: the display. Good resolution, but poor color (47% of sRGB available) and low contrast, etc. As I'm using it mainly for ilustrations and so, this is something to keep in mind. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users