Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting throug Linksys router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BrettC

BrettC

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

I am using a Linksys WRT120N router.  I have a piece of hardware connected to it by Ethernet cable.  It is an Automation Direct Human Machine Interface EAP9.  The goal is to connect from a remote location via the internet.  I believe my problem is in the router setup.

I have port forwarding set up for the appropriate ports.  When I try to ping the router from a pc not connected through the router, I get nothing.  Should I be able to ping it using the ip address listed on the router's status page?  Why would this not work?

Brett

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

Hello

That would depend on a few things:

1. Your IP address must be routeable on the internet. This means if the routers WAN IP is listed on the following list you will have problems reaching it.
    The same applies if you are trying to ping an IP address on that list from an external source.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses
    Typical use cases for this is Carrier Grade NAT used by ISP's because of lack of IPv4 addresses
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

2. If number 1 isn't a problem, then it would depend on if the firewall in the router allows ping packets from the outside

Let us know what IP you are trying to ping (leave out the last numbers if you want to be more anonymous, eg: 150.150.150.xxx)

Also, the IP address listed on your routers WAN port would be nice to know

Hth!

tfn

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

"When I try to ping the router from a pc not connected through the router, I get nothing. "

Assuming the referred to computer is on the internet the only ip address you could ping on the router is the wan port and then only if you turned on icmp response which is usually off by default.

Solution is to enable icmp response on the wan interface. Only leave this on while testing and turn off when done. It is a security risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users