Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Packets sent to unkown IP number

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 makky

makky

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

(sorry for my english)

My browser (Firefox) recently started to act oddly. For example some sites are loading very long. I scanned all my files by online scanner (ESET), local antivirus (Avast). Some things were found and deleted, but the problem stil exists.

Then I  run TCPView to check what exactly happens on my network. I found that there is IP address which is connected to my computer through Firefox port 80. Actually the packets are send from my computer to this IP address through port 80 but only when Firefox is opened and connected to some normal www sites.

No matter what site it is, Firefox always send packets to this IP. When I close Firefox, this connection (my computer -> unknown IP) is TIME_WAIT in TCPView.

Then I Deleted all my addons and widgets in Firefox, but nothing has changed.

Then i blocked this IP address (and all range) in Windows system Firewall. It helped and there is no connection anymore but i See in log than my computer is still wanting to make connections with this address.

I live in Poland and this iP is located in Poland too, belongs to private network, about 300km from my city.

Of course I know there is a lot of connections making through Firefox when I'm on the internet but usually I know that some are from antyvirus, some from the sites, cloudflare, google, widgets, etc,  but this connection is always opened no matter site is on and I don;t know what it is.

Other browsers (chrome, opera) are ok, this problem is only with Firefox.

Thank  you for reading this.

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2017 - 01:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 backfolder

backfolder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Hi makky.
Maybe the problem is IN firefox. I will do some things:
1. Try the most recent portable version of FF and check for that connection.
2. Ask mozilla devs at FF forums.
3. Check your PC with a multi-engine antivirus.
Maybe is something related to Firefox any kind of analitycs, remenber they're moving to new online features such http://send.firefox.com.
Hope you find or fix that mistery, and tell us about, plz ; )

Edited by backfolder, 22 August 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#3 makky

makky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded FF portable latest version and I have still the same problem. Then I changed some settings in Firefox:

Enable Firefox Health Report - Disabled

Share Additional Data - Disabled

Firefox Updates - Never check for updates

Use a background service to install updates - Disabled

Automatically Update, Search Engines - Disabled

And nothing has changed.

Maybe is something related to Firefox any kind of analitycs, remenber they're moving to new online features such http://send.firefox.com.
Hope you find or fix that mistery, and tell us about, plz ; )

I thought the same but does Firefox really would send data to IP which belong to private network in Poland? I thought they have their own places and simple IP check would show that IP belongs to Firefox or something...

#4 backfolder

backfolder

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

Maybe that private network in Poland belongs to Firefox, in anyway.
Ask for that in Firefox forums.

#5 amfrank

amfrank

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

I'm using Firefox and have also experienced odd delays with loading some websites. It happens on two different PCs. I have run scans, tried FF safe mode, disable add-ons, etc. but the delays still happen sometimes. I have FF set to not send telemetry to Mozilla.

One thing I noticed that almost all of the affected sites, including Bleeping Computer, have in common is that they use Cloudflare. Perhaps the way Cloudflare is communicating with Firefox browsers is causing these delays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users