Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Zone Alarm

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:46 PM

I have the free version of Zone Alarm. Lately a popup windows stating Zone Alarm is 'initializing' appears and says it may take minutes to complete. It never completes though. Is my Zone Alarm not working properly?
Also my computer(Dell 9300) is ungodly slow(I have scanned with Spybot,adaware,defender, and MS spyware program). Could they be related?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Koc

Koc

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Try doing this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

and post a hijackthis log in a new topic in the Hijackthis analysis section :thumbsup:

Edited by Koc, 17 September 2006 - 11:47 AM.

#3 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

I scanned using HouseCall and it doesn't work for me. It takes an hour to complete the scan....then it shows all the infected files and spyware etc.
I click on the 'clean' icon and the sidebar states 'updating malware definitions etc' then it says it's removing grayware/spyware......but it does nothing. It just sits there(and I left it for an hour before turning it of). I've scanned 5 times and each time i get the same result.

I tried the Panda virus, but it wants money for 'disinfecting' the bad files etc.

#4 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:54 AM

anyone?

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:53 PM

Continue following the other cleaning instructions and save logs whenever you can. The point is to remove as much as the infection as possible before posting a HiJack This log. When you post that log, tell them what scans you've done, what worked and didn't work and a brief summary of what they found or deleted.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:13 PM

The only thing I would add to what Orange Blossom said is to provide EXACT names of things that were found. That means EXACT path, EXACT file name, no vague or misquoted descriptions.

It could also be that your installation is flawed in some way. Try to do a clean uninstall of ZA and just reinstall. To do a clean install you need to set a switch on the ZA uninstaller shortcut. Just add a space and /clean at the end. Turn off ZA. Wait a bit till it all closes up. You may need to reboot, so make sure this time you don't run it at startup. Then do clean installation.

#7 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:24 PM

I tried to defrag also and it nevers finishes I get a 'blue screen' saying that the computer had to stop before damage occurred and tells me to uninstall antivirus programs etc.
I removed ZA and installed the tial version of Panda antivirus. I'm concerned that something is seriously wrong considering that I can't defrag or check volume for errors.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:56 PM

On sept l7 you were advised to post a Hijack This Log. Is there a problem with doing that?
As to the not being able to defragment, your harddrive may not have enough unused space. Get rid of the malware first and then deal with any other problems later.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

I'm a newbie here....I have no idea what a hijack this log is. I'll try to do some reading and figure out what it is.

#10 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

Ok...I've installed Hijackthis.....I'm not sure how to run it. Do I just double-click the icon and then click "Run winzip"?

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:23 PM

Post #2 above has a link in it that takes you to the instructions for posting a Hijack This Log. Do not post the log in this topic.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:43 PM

I read the instructions.....it just says to Start the program. I was asking if clicking "Run Winzip" will start the hijackthis program. I'm a computer illiterate...so I didn't want to click the wrong thing.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,113 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

This topic should answer your questions about how to download, install and scan with HiJack This.

Please note: you must put the program in your program files, not temporary files or on the desktop.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

OK....I finally think I did it correctly

Here it is.....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/66606/slow-startup/