Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Potential Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

Okay I bought HGST 1tb 5400RPM from a friend. For the time being it doesnt have an enclose. Is that a problem? I came here looking for several advice on the issues. First of all this friend used this hard drive for a buisness service he provides of Hacking cellphone services and unblocking them and resetting them with special expensive hack tools. Im sure most of these softwares are hacked and might have viruses. When I install it my MSE antivirus locates some as virus. I just got this and havent done a full search on it because since its 1tb it takes a long time. The drive has some personal files such as music and programs I might be interested in checking up. But if its too risky I rather take preventative steps. I was thinking of getting some programs suggestions to check if its infested or how badly infested it is without risking or getting infected. I was wondering if using some sort of sandbox I think would prevent me from contacting. Or is it best just to do some sort of format to get rid of it. Also am I being at risk just for plugging it in or opening it or going through the folders? Theres also the fact that its partition in half. Divided. I was thinking of putting it together, which I dont know how, but if you guys tell me its best to keep in half I will.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Struppigel

Struppigel

Karsten Hahn, G DATA Malware Analyst

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

Hi Threesom666.

There is always a potential that hard drives might contain malware. Plugging them in and navigating through the files and folders may infect your current machine if the drive itself is infected by a worm.

Sandboxes tend to give people a false sense of security. E.g. malware has still access to your data if you run it in Sandboxie and might steal your credentials. Some malware can also escape sandboxes and infect the host system. If there is a high risk of a file being malware I wouldn't execute it in a sandbox either.

Formatting the drive is the safest way here. It doesn't matter how many partitions you have. You can join them if you want.

Alternatively you can take the time to scan the whole drive with your antivirus and show us the result (a log of all detections) so we can see if it found anything worrysome like worms or file infectors.

You say there are hack tools on the drive. These will be detected by AV scanners even if they are "clean" because they fall under the categories riskware and grayware. You should remove those files too if they are found by the scanner, but they are not as critical as other malware detections are.

Best regards

Karsten

#3 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Coming from the malware team its all the response I need. Thank you.

Im going to reformat it.

I need to know the enclose question. Is there any danger to having it out?

Im also need more info. on the partition. Its 2 partitions. The reason some of these people around here do it is mostly because if their os gets damaged they can reformat and have all there important files elsewhere. I dont like it because its harder to fill up both folders loosing some space in the cut. I would actually prefer it one whole. But if you tell this logic is a good idea I'll keep it. If not, what methods and programs do you recommend to use to make it one whole again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users