Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pls Help!! I cant turn on system on my laptop

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Marko97

Marko97

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:33 AM

I think l made mistake when l was trying to make bootabile flash drive, and l think l made bootabile hard drive, i mean new partition with another system instalation.when l try to startup my laptop it shows black screen and it says BootMGR is missing, l know what that means but l cant fix it becouse when l change first boot device to something else than hard disk it shows same error... I hope that l dont need to format my hard drive, otherwise i will kill myself becouse l lost worth staff on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:49 AM

I don't know much into repairing boot manager and stuff.

But if I am in such a scenario I will use Hiren's Boot CD or Linux preferably Mint for booting the system and copy important data into hard disc.

You can also alternatively format only the C: and the data in other partitions is not affected ( I keep only operating system and installable programs in my C-drive ) and any downloaded stuff or anything else for that matter in other partitions.

Looking for better solutions from our expert team.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

try using the repair feature on your restore disc's that either came with your system or you were supposed to make when you bought the computer.

if you formatted your HDD then the repair won't work and you'll have to do a full restore.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

I would start file recovery now so you don't loose anything, that's the first thing smart folks do.  Then try some repairs.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

I would start file recovery now so you don't loose anything, that's the first thing smart folks do.  Then try some repairs.

mightywiz is correct.  If the hdd was reformatted Windows will need to be reinstalled. There would be no way to start the file recovery since the computer doesn't boot into the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

mightywiz is correct.  If the hdd was reformatted Windows will need to be reinstalled. There would be no way to start the file recovery since the computer doesn't boot into the operating system.

You are saying there are not tools to recover lost important files?

I hope that l dont need to format my hard drive, otherwise i will kill myself because l lost worth staff on it. 

Seems important to the member.

Edited by pcpunk, 23 August 2017 - 10:30 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

@pcpunk

Once again... If the hdd was formatted there will be nothing there to retrieve conventionally.  Those files are gone if the hdd was formatted.  In this case there won't be any applications which can recover these files.  The only option would be to pay a company to forensically recover what ever files can be found.  This is a very expensive process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 752 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

piriform has a program called recuva that can scan the drive and recover files from a formatted drive, only if that area was erased and not written over after the format.  but you have to pull the drive and scan it using a different computer.

the program is in the download section called recuva, here is the link

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/recuva/

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Recuva is indeed an option for attempting to retrieve files from a formatted drive, assuming nothing has since been rewritten to the drive. No guarantees, but it's worth a shot. However, as dc3 said the only sure way to retrieve files from a formatted drive is via a third party service and they are not cheap.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

The point being, don't do anything else if recovery is wanted, or else it will be futile.  And again, the point I was trying to make simple, don't do anything until you get those files off there.  You could boot from some type of recovery media and get them to another medium.  Even if you need to take it to the local shop, they will be able to get your files if it was not formatted, we don't know yet if you formatted the drive.  There's lot's of Software for this but Linux would be a good choice imo.  You could boot from Linux and Copy all your files to an External Drive of some kind, even just a USB with enough space on it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 ilonggo

ilonggo

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:07 PM

Hello,

Please try to use Linux Mint, it has a tool to scan and recover all possible files. I would suggest to save or secure all your files first before attempting to repair the bootmgr issue which I believe Linux mint is also capable. I haven't tried linux mint because I personally use parted magic which some features are also in Linux Mint.

However, after saving all your important data the next best solution to take, is to repair your Windows by using your Windows repair disk. Insert it into your DVD and follow the wizard instruction. In case that the repair disk finds no operating system listed, simply click next and select the command prompt.

Type this command: cd\ -> Enter ->

bootrec /fixboot -> Enter
bootrec /fixmbr -> Enter
bootrec /RebuildBCD ->Enter

Please do this after you saved all your important files. I hope this will help you.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

This is a good tool you can try for free to see if you can recover files.  If you can then you will need to buy the license to actually Copy the files to your external media.  It may be better to let a professional do it for you, I don't know.

https://www.powerdatarecovery.com/data-recovery-boot-disk.html

Edited by pcpunk, 24 August 2017 - 08:08 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

First of all, I wish you luck with recovering your files, you will need it.

There is no reason to purchase a program to recover these files when Recuva works quite well, if the files can be recovered.

#14 Marko97

Marko97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:28 AM

I solved my problem, l take my pc to pc service and they said l didnt made mistake, hard drive was fisicaly damaged, so they somehow saved my data and replaced new hard drive. Now l can sleep in peace 😆

#15 Marko97

Marko97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:30 AM

Thank you all for reply! This topic is closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users