Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Z400jt

Z400jt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

I have a MSI CX612QC that wont boot. A few days ago I started having problems with waking it up from sleeping. It would require me to press the power button several times. I was starting to think that the power button was faulty but each time eventually it would start up. Today it won't.

I used the laptop all day at work, it worked perfectly, then I shut it down and prepared to leave. About 5 minutes later I realized I forgot to print something and pulled it back out. I pressed the power button and it acted like it was going to start, the MSI logo popped up on the screen and the blue light above the disc icon came one, within 2 seconds the blue light flashed a couple times and the laptop shut off.

I pressed the power button again and nothing. I eventually found that if I removed the battery and the power adapter and then plugged them back in I could get the computer to do the same thing again but nothing different.

So far I've tried unplugging the CMOS battery for a few seconds then plugging it back in, removing and reinstalling the hard drive, and switching the slot that the RAM is in.

I'm out of ideas, anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:18 PM

You said the blue light flashed a couple of times does that mean 2 or maybe more? The number of flashes is helpful in determining the problem.

#3 Z400jt

Z400jt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:39 PM

It comes on solid for a second, then flashes twice fast then turns off and the computer shuts down.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

OK thanks, I'll look into that.

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

Don't click on any of those links.

#6 Z400jt

Z400jt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

It turned on randomly yesterday. I pressed the power button once and it turned on just like normal. However this computer is my laptop for my programming classes and I need to to reliably turn on and off so I tried restarting it by just clicking restart in Windows. It restarted fine but when I actually shut it down and then tried to use the power button to turn it on again the problem began again.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

sounds like your power supply is faulty.    that's where I would start.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

That sounds like a problem in the power supply input. I'll see if I can find someone with more knowledge that can help you. Good luck.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

I would suggest using a multimeter to test the output voltage of the power adapter.  The proper output voltage of will be printed on the power adapter, looking online it appears that the output voltage is 19V DC.

How old is the battery for this laptop? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

multimeter is not a good test,  when you unplug the cable from the computer to test it you have no load anymore and will get an incorrect zero load result.

now if you pop the case apart and measure the voltage while it's plugged in and the computer is on then you'll get an accurate reading.   and if the voltage drops

below 14 volts then I say you have an issue for sure.

with no load you can get a good voltage reading and still have a bad power supply.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

I disagree, it is one of the best ways to test a PSU.  You can put an adequate load on the adapter by connecting  a car headlight to it.  The Voltage should be the same with a load and without the load.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Z400jt

Z400jt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

Ok I haven't tested the power supply but I haven't only because the problem actually persists even if I'm only on the battery.

Yesterday I was messing with it and found that I don't have to pull the power cord and battery out to get to try to boot. Instead if I hold the power button down for about 10 seconds the hard drive light comes on and then if I release the power button quickly the computer is more likely to actually boot. I was able to boot it up 3/5 times by doing this including with and without the power supply plugged in.

#13 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

I disagree, it is one of the best ways to test a PSU.  You can put an adequate load on the adapter by connecting  a car headlight to it.  The Voltage should be the same with a load and without the load.it

it should be the same either way, but now your suggesting putting a high current device on a computer power supply.  now your risking burning up a possibly good power adapter!

Not a good idea at all!

Don't do it!

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

W/V = A

Low beam draws 45W.

Voltage is 19V0

Current is 3.7A

That isn't what I would describe as a high current device.  The power adapter for this computer is rated at 6.3A.

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

Sorry dc3, I have to correct you on this one.

The 45W low beam you refer to is rated at 12V, so it's rated current is -

W / V = 45 / 12 = 3.75A From this, its resistance equals 12V / 3.75A = 3R2 (3.2 ohms). Again,

I = V / R so the current through this lamp would be 19 / 3.2 = 5.9A, and the power drawn would be -

W = I x V = 5.9 x 19 = 112W

So there would be headroom testing this charger like this, just not as much as you suggest and the lamp might not last too long !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users