Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't turn on computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oskaru27

Oskaru27

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

Hey,

I have a problem with starting my computer. Sorry for my English, my language skills aren't so good, forgive me for any mistakes. Anyway, a few moments earlier I accidentally turned off process explorer.exe. Then, when all my icons disappear, I was thinking that restart my computer would have fixed that. But from this moment, I can't turn on my computer. I'm just getting this screen: https://imgur.com/gallery/OW6jG I can get into bios http://i.imgur.com/DJN1qHg.jpg and furthermore, I have an another hard drive with windows 7. So, I took that one and plugged in with my PC. Then, I started that windows and you know what? My old hard drive is working perfectly, I can even get to my new hard drive windows 7 files so I should be able to fix any errors. But I don't know how to repair it. I still can't run windows 7 by my new hard drive. Any ideas? Sorry for my English once again, but I'll be grateful for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

Your English is fine.

Pull the new drive. Boot the old drive and start tapping F8 to get to the Advanced Boot Options. Select Last Known Good Configuration. Reboot. If that does not work then select Repair Computer from the menu and do a System Restore. If you have no Restore Points then try Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts to repair.

If you cannot access the Advanced Boot Options by tapping F8 you can use a System Repair Disk of Windows 7 or a Windows 7 install disk. Select the Repair Computer link.

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:45 PM

Can you boot in safe mode and restart the process by going to the task manager, file, and run new task?

#4 ilonggo

ilonggo

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

Hi Oska, your English is good. There is a big possibility that your new hard drive Windows OS got corrupted or your new hard drive may having an issue. I would suggest to transfer all your important data to your old hard drive and try to check your new hard drive with GSmartControl you may refer to this: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/602273/windows-7-machine-working-very-hard/page-2#entry3931439

#5 Oskaru27

Oskaru27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:57 AM

Thanks you for all replies !! I have not solved my problem yet, but:

@ilonggo - short scan results -> no errors, maybe I should do an extended scan? And I've already transferred all my important data to the old hard drive.

@HyperHenry - yes, my first think was "Safe Mode!", But I can't do anything after getting that screen https://imgur.com/gallery/OW6jG. (I know, that's not HD: ^), before this I have exactly the same screen but with emm some kind of control help at the bottom? You know, like "press F12 to select boot option". Then, when it's disappeared, I've got that screen from the image.

@ JohnC_21 - "Select Last Known Good Configuration. Reboot" - done "select Repair Computer (...) to a System Restore" - done. I have a restore point, but it didn't help at all. Though, you put the idea into my head, I once again boot my old hard drive, then I've got to new hard drive Windows folder and press it PPM, then select the emm properties I think (or features in English) and check Lastest Version options. I restored version from june but it didn't work too.

I think that's important is I don't have hooked up two hard drives all time. I've just "borrow" power cable from disk drive because without my old hard drive I could only get to bios and that's all. I think (it's only my opinion) that all my actions like to restore something or repair windows are focus on my old hard drive. I can't force it to repair my new hard drive so it's a main problem. Is it even possible? Maybe it's a way to force my new hard drive system to run in safe mode?

PS@ Before I turned of explorer.exe I've installed "Locale Emulator"  (from first website when you google that phrase), I've got communicaton that I should reboot my computer too. I don't know it's important but who knows.

Edited by Oskaru27, 22 August 2017 - 02:03 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

If by turning off explorer you meant stopping it in Task Manager I don't believe that would have caused the problems you are now having.

Have you tried doing a chkdsk /r at a command prompt? I would only do this after backing up your data on the new drive. 

#7 Oskaru27

Oskaru27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Alright, I've reinstall my system and that solve the problem. It's problematic but I think as you, that problem was deeper. It started when I just closed explorer.exe process in Task Manager, maybe I interrupted some important task?  Anyway, you can closed/delete this thread, thanks for help.

Edited by Oskaru27, 22 August 2017 - 08:31 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

Your Welcome, and thanks for the update.

I would suggest in the future you create complete disk images to an external USB drive on a regular schedule. Free software that allows you to do this is

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Free

Easeus Todo Backup Free

All allow you to create bootable media allowing you to restore the image from the USB external should the computer no longer boot due to file corruption, malware, or a failed hard drive. Restore would take minutes vs the hours of reintalling the OS and all your programs including Security Updates.

Edit: All allow incremental and differential backups. Aomei and Easeus also allow for file backups on a schedule. Easeus file backup is easier when selecting multiple files and folders.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 August 2017 - 08:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users