Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Really Lost on Linux and an Audio Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

I've never opened a Linux OS in my life.  It appears to be a peppermint, but I can't find an operating system properties tab or button anywhere.  It's kind of a slow laptop (Dell D630 Latitude), so it's even more......you know what.  

A feller said that his audio wasn't working, and he had to borrow someone else's laptop.  I brought this thing home, and it appears that it is a driver problem not a sound card problem.  Downloaded a Realtek driver, and tried the audio test on it.  It worked, but still I can't get sound from the youtube or anything like that.  

Card is okay.

Driver is not.  

Where do I even figure out where to figure out what version of Linux this is, and see if it doesn't need to be updated or what not?  

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

I wonder if the system is just out of date?

Click on the Menu and type "System" and see what you get.  You may see something called "System Monitor" or something similar to do with the System, go to the System Tab to see if it tells us what you have.  You could even take a screen shot of it to save work, but then you will need to host it to something like Photobucket to post it here. 

You could also run the command below in the Terminal and Press Enter, Copy Paste it into Terminal.  Copy and Paste the info into your next entry.  To get the Terminal, open the menu and type Terminal, or just Press Ctrl+Alt+t and the Terminal will open.

lsb_release -a

We have some Peppermint users here so be patient.

Or it may be just a matter of installing Flash.  What Browser are you using?  I'm not very good with this because it's normally not a problem for me, others will chime in.

Edited by pcpunk, 21 August 2017 - 09:44 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

I've never opened a Linux OS in my life.  It appears to be a peppermint, but I can't find an operating system properties tab or button anywhere.  It's kind of a slow laptop (Dell D630 Latitude), so it's even more......you know what.  

A feller said that his audio wasn't working, and he had to borrow someone else's laptop.  I brought this thing home, and it appears that it is a driver problem not a sound card problem.  Downloaded a Realtek driver, and tried the audio test on it.  It worked, but still I can't get sound from the youtube or anything like that.  

Card is okay.

Driver is not.  

Where do I even figure out where to figure out what version of Linux this is, and see if it doesn't need to be updated or what not?  

Thanks

Peppermint forums.

https://forum.peppermintos.com/

Also take a look at these.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/peppermint

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first-peppermint

Also lower left corner of desktop task bar is a gray icon with a $ inside of it.

Copy and paste  inxi -Fx

Then press enter.

Once you have done that copy and paste the output in a post.

Edited by The-Toolman, 21 August 2017 - 09:11 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

To get the Terminal, open the menu and type Terminal, or just type Ctrl+T and the Terminal will open.

Shouldn’t that be Ctrl + Alt + t

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:18 PM

To get the Terminal, open the menu and type Terminal, or just type Ctrl+T and the Terminal will open.

Yes you are right.

Press them all at the same time.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,101 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

Whoops, what a noob! LOL

@The-Toolman

Copy and paste  inxi -Fx

I'm quite sure from a quick search that inxi won't work unless installed first, it is not included in Peppermint.

To install it run

sudo apt-get install inxi

Then Run

inxi -Fz

The "z" will Filter out the MAC Address

Edited by pcpunk, 22 August 2017 - 08:04 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

I don't remember.

I believe it comes installed being Ubuntu based although I may be wrong.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:41 AM

In any case this is likely a flash issue of some kind, perhaps even ALSA or pulseaudio hard to say.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

Need some specs or at least the Dell System Tag #.

Dell D630 Latitude laptops seem to have been produced with a very wide variety of hardware throughout its production years.

One of the better Dell Laptops as these were built to last "Tank Quality".

#10 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

Ya, that's what I noticed about this Dell.  Tank.  I think all the Dells were built like this in my opinion:  slide and lock parts, swiss army knife utility everything included, and price is not too high.  

Thanks so far.  I'll be back to this.  I have to do a show online, and circle back.  

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

Just double checked, if you type System Monitor in the Menu that should get you what we need.  Or search for it manually in the Menu, I've never run Peppermint so don't know if you can search from the Menu.

You could follow my instructions to install inxi above, then run the inxi command, or, run this in The Terminal without installing anything.

sudo lshw -short

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 evildoc

evildoc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Just my experience. I was gifted a dell lattitude d400 laptop, a win xp laptop from about 2005. I didn't want to keep win xp for obvious reasons. Attempted to install some of my favorite lightweight linux distros on there, linuxlite, mint xfce. Found out that I needed a non pae distro. Did some research and found that peppermint 4 would work (but no longer supported), it had the audio driver but no driver for the wireless NIC card. Thought that I would have to use puppy (had the audio and wireless drivers). After some more reading, I found Q4OS. It not only has the audio driver but the wireless NIC driver too (NIC is wireless B, pretty slow, so I use a wireless N USB adapter) . 32 bit versions 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 are non pae. The 40GB IDE HDD was 12 years old, I bought a 32 GB IDE SSD and upped the RAM to 1.5GB. It does well enough for web surfing in front of the tv

#13 F-1DeskLamp

F-1DeskLamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

Well nothing like what was shared here worked out.  

But when I tried the Firefox browser, then the sound played okay.  Nothing wrong from there.  

I noticed that the feller's laptop is also set to duckduckgo on the FF browser, so I assume that the person that set up the laptop with linux instead of windows and ddg on ff had done so to be private.  

I have noticed in various occasions that what doesn't work on google's browser will on firefox, and here is yet another time.  Why is that?  

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

Well that does sound like an issue with ALSA (one of the backends to make sound on linux)

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

I have noticed in various occasions that what doesn't work on google's browser will on firefox, and here is yet another time.  Why is that?  

We need you to run this in the Terminal

sudo lshw -short

If you are running outdated stuff Flash may not be working.  Is there are reason you have not done this yet?  Knowledge is power, without it this is going nowhere.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users