Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Picasa query

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

I have many photos in Picasa on my laptop and quite a few of the same photo in various albums which seems to be a big mistake. Now when I go to delete some of the photos from these albums I get a warning saying all the same photos will be deleted from all albums!

Is there anyway to stop this happening as I do not whish to lose the photos altogether. Any help would be appreciated...thank you

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2017 - 11:19 AM.
Moved from Photo Albums to Graphics Design - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

Try copying one of these images then pasting it into a different folder - not in Picasa - then check and see that it exists in that folder, then go back to Picasa and delete the image from your different albums.

If you still wish to have it in Picasa you can then coopy/paste it back into your preferred album.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:45 PM

Chris's suggestion is a good one.

I am actually surprised that Picasa doesn't take the approach diametrically opposed to what you describe.  I imagine that when a single photo is in multiple albums that it exists as a single physical image with multiple logical links to it.  Typically deleting logical links does not remove anything but the links deleted until or unless the original file is included along with all remaining links to it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

Thanks Chris & Brian will give your idea a try Chris..Cheers to you both...Beel

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

I guess that I am missing something here; Picasa no longer exists. It was a top-notch graphics uploader, Google bought it and proceeded to totally mangle it. They "transferred" my dozens of photos, losing many in the process. All my comments with each picture and organization was gone; there was only a "box full" of jumbled, unorganized pictures with some missing. How are you still accessing your photos on Picasa? Maybe I can still find the photos that are missing (?).

Thanks

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

Picasa no longer exists as a supported product.   It certainly does exist "out there" in it's last iteration (version 3.9.140) and is still used by a lot of people (including myself) on their machines as a strictly local photo organizer.  All of the direct connections to the Google cloud storage are dead and gone, but that doesn't mean that it's not incredibly useful just for use "at home on my own machine."

I have no doubt that what you say occurred did occur, but it's not relevant to the issue the OP presented.  As far as I can tell Picasa doesn't touch a single thing as far as the original photos on my hard disc drive and never has (unless I intentionally delete from within Picasa, which I seldom do).

I have archived Picasa versions 3.8 (from 2010) and 3.9 (from 2012) on my Google Drive since various clients still want it with some regularity.  Just don't click on the Google Pictures button in version 3.9 (and I have no idea if it would even work anymore).

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

Ah, I see now. Thanks for the information and the link. I downloaded the 3.9 version and will give it a go.

Cheers...

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

Okay guys I have just been doing some serious thinking which is unusual for me. So if I export a photo in Picasa I wish to keep to pictures in W7 then delete it in the Picasa  album which the all same photos be deleted in Picasa then select in Pictures to it edit in Picasa it should return to the Picasa album and I would only have the single photo in Picasa? A bit of messing around I know but worth a try....Thoughts please guys.

Edited by Beel, 24 August 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

You would have to try this to know for sure.  There's no way around that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users