Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bent motherboard pins question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Charzz

Charzz

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

I am building myself a new computer and the new motherboard I got well unfortunately some of the pins have been bent in the process off it being shipped I put my cpu into the socket i7 6700k thought I never started it with the cpu I did this after screwing the motherboard in so nothing was plugged. My cpu should still be fine since the motherboard was never turned on in the first place. So just asking on here to be sure that my cpu should be fine hopefully. Please note that the pins in the cpu socket got were already bent when I got the motherboard new I didn;t bend them myself. 

Edited by Charzz, 21 August 2017 - 07:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

If you purchased and received a brand new under warranty motherboard and it is defective or damaged then it should b returned for a new undamaged motherboard.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 Charzz

Charzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

If you purchased and received a brand new under warranty motherboard and it is defective or damaged then it should b returned for a new undamaged motherboard.

yeah I know this as have just sent the website I got it off a warranty request so hopefully that gets sorted. Just want to know should my cpu still be all good becuase I put it in the socket with the bent pins but never booted the pc up like that

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

Your processor should be fine as processor are for the most pretty tough.

I have yet to actually ever see a bad processor.

I know that certain icores can be distorted by overweighting the screws of some heat sinks because of Intel stooping to poor quality as all manufactures of today.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

I doubt that motherboard is accepted to warranty but you can try. CPU should be OK, unless some pins burned some contacts. You probably can see it by just looking underside of CPU.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

I doubt that motherboard is accepted to warranty but you can try.

I'm curious to know why a damaged motherboard wouldn't able to be returned if damaged through shipping.

I have returned several damaged motherboards to manufactures without any problems.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

I'm curious to know why a damaged motherboard wouldn't able to be returned if damaged through shipping.
I have returned several damaged motherboards to manufactures without any problems.

Because it's hard to prove that bent pins are not user error.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,885 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

I've never seen bent pins..caused by anything other than user error.

My thought is...if the motherboard pins were already bent...why put the CPU in the socket?

Did you check the CPU itself for bent pins?  Bent pins on a CPU are routinely straightened by using something (I use a credit card) to gently straighten them so that they fit properly.

Louis

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

I've never seen bent pins..caused by anything other than user error.

My thought is...if the motherboard pins were already bent...why put the CPU in the socket?

Did you check the CPU itself for bent pins?  Bent pins on a CPU are routinely straightened by using something (I use a credit card) to gently straighten them so that they fit properly.

Louis

@Louis:-

If the pins in the socket were damaged, it's a fairly good bet that the processor itself has contact pads; the CPU in question being an i7, this is indeed what they in fact have.

Mind you, it's an understandable assumption to make. I myself have never actually used a setup other than the older type; pins on the CPU, contacts in the socket. (And yes, I have bent CPU pins myself; on an elderly P4, when trying to remove a recalcitrant heatsink. The heatsink was literally 'welded' to the top of the heat spreader, the paste was that hard; it dragged the CPU out of the 'locked' socket, and caused the afore-mentioned damage. A careful straightening session followed, and that same CPU is still chugging away today, nearly 3 years later!)

I've tried many Google and Duckduckgo searches to find out why the change occurred (roundabout the time of the LGA 775s, I believe).....and have yet to find a single explanation for this anywhere. There must be one, somewhere!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 August 2017 - 07:29 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

I believe it's possible to have a higher pin density with Land Grid Array sockets.  It also makes the CPU's themselves less delicate (conversely LGA sockets are easily damaged).  It's not only Intel who use them, AMD have used them on their Opteron range for some time, and the new Threadripper series will use an LGA socket.  It (the Threadripper) has an interesting fitting method designed to avert socket damage, and is supplied with it's own mini torque wrench!

Edited by jonuk76, 23 August 2017 - 08:30 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

It (the Threadripper) has an interesting fitting method designed to avert socket damage, and is supplied with it's own mini torque wrench!

Very cool setup.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

I believe it's possible to have a higher pin density with Land Grid Array sockets.  It also makes the CPU's themselves less delicate (conversely LGA sockets are easily damaged).  It's not only Intel who use them, AMD have used them on their Opteron range for some time, and the new Threadripper series will use an LGA socket.  It (the Threadripper) has an interesting fitting method designed to avert socket damage, and is supplied with it's own mini torque wrench!

Most importantly, LGA socket pins are motherboard manufacturers' problem while CPU pins are CPU manufacturer's problem.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,885 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:46 AM

Info appreciated, Mike :).

Louis

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

No thermal grease application? Impressive. Is thermal grease not required on LGA sockets? Or....is it pre-applied somehow?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

No thermal grease application? Impressive. Is thermal grease not required on LGA sockets? Or....is it pre-applied somehow?

Not sure I follow? The pin type doesn't really make any difference as far as the interface between heatsink and processor is concerned.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users