Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Root Hub (xHCI) Error Code 39

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MichelG

MichelG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:29 AM

Hello,

I am currently experiencing issues with a malfunctioning USB port. In my Device Manager, the USB Root Hub (xHCI) is showing a yellow exclamation point. When attempting to update the driver software automatically, I receive a message stating my driver is up to date. When instead updating by browsing my computer, the installation hangs and times out. Under Device Status I get the following message: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39).

When searching for fixes to this problem, the most common solution was one involving registry edits. As an example: http://www.tricksguide.com/solve-device-manager-error-code-39-on-usb-controller.html

Now, my question is two-fold. First, is this really the most feasible fix to my issue? Second, in my search, I have seen others claim that upon uninstalling their USB controllers, Windows did not automatically reinstall them after rebooting. Is this likely to occur, and if it does, is there an easy fix? I am concerned about worsening the problem, and I'm hoping for some more knowledgeable advice as I am simply an average computer user.

My laptop is an old HP ENVY m4 Notebook PC running Windows 8.1 64-bit

Intel Core i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs)

8192MB RAM

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

A yellow warning usually is indicative of a bad driver.  You can uninstall the driver from that USB Root Hub, click/tap on the Driver tab and select Uninstall Device.  When you restart the computer another driver will be installed.

You can do the following to open the Device Manager.

Press the Windows key and the X key together to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin).  Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

devmgmt.msc

Edited by dc3, 23 August 2017 - 10:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users