Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have few problems in my laptop Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dian2

Dian2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:12 AM

Hi Everybody

I am new to this forum. By chance I found this forum and I think I have found correct place to learn about computers.

I have few problems in my laptop Windows 7

Windows explorer stopped working

Cannot save files into CD, MP3 and USB

Once log into the computer, it takes nearly 30 minutes to access internet explorer, Opera and Mozilla Fire

Even though I can use internet through above web browsers, once in a way I find computer becomes slow or freeze.

I did following.

Scanned for Malwares

Checked Startup Services Checked Startup Programs Disabled Thumbnail Creation(Placed a check next on the box that says Always show icons, never thumbnails)

But I couldn't complete the  System File Checker Scan run as it stopped half way. I did it few occasions without success.

On the Start Menu. I typed cmd then right clicked  cmd and chose  Run As Administrator  and  typed sfc /scannow and pressed Enter. After that it stopped.In other words it ended as verification 47 completed. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.  

My Laptop

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Acer Aspire 5741

X64-based PC

I would much appreciate if anybody can give me some sort of solutions. Thanks and have a nice day!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dian2

Dian2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

I got the following message when I tried to save a document to USB and computer started to slow down.

Windows explorer has stopped working.

Edited by Dian2, 21 August 2017 - 05:19 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:17 AM

You say:

I got the following message when I tried to save a document to USB and computer started to slow down.

Does "USB" mean a USB attached storage device?

Do you mean you see a message like this:

[attachment=197094:Untitled.jpg]

Does that happen every time you attempt to save a file to USB and can you recreate the problem at will?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Dian2

Dian2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

Thank you for the reply. I will come back to you once I did  above steps.

#6 Dian2

Dian2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

You say:

Does "USB" mean a USB attached storage device?

Do you mean you see a message like this:

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Does that happen every time you attempt to save a file to USB and can you recreate the problem at will?

Thank you for the reply. Yes. I got the above message. I tried several occasions during last two weeks to save my files to CD and USB.  Simply, I can't do those operations in my computer. I was downloading  podcasts to my Philips Gogear MP4 without any problems few months back. I cannot do that as well now.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

Since your system is an Acer (didn't spot that before - at an eclipse party :cowboy: ), this sounds like a good place to start looking:

If you mean you are seeing something like this:

[attachment=197100:1.jpg]

If that is the case, read this:

Perhaps you have an afflicted Explorer Shell Extension.

Explorer Extensions make up the list/menu of things you see when you right click something.  

An afflicted Explorer Shell extension can cause Explorer to crash - especially when using copy/paste and/or drag/drop and often to/from an external USB attached drive.

Several recent incidents involving Acer systems and MyWinLocker from EgisTec (which is already known to include some troublesome Explorer shell extensions) which may have come preinstalled on your system.

Even if your system is not from Acer it may have MyWinLocker installed and since there have been many reports of it contributing to Explorer crashes it seems a good place to start looking.

If you look in your Installed Programs and find MyWinLocker or anything from EgisTec and you don't know what it is or why it is there consider just uninstalling it, rebooting and then see how things work.  You can always reinstall it again later if needed, right?

If you have determined that MyWinLocker or any other EgisTec programs are involved follow the general purpose instructions below so you will be able to see all the Explorer shell extensions and figure out which one is afflicted.

After using The following program suggestion if you see any extensions from EgisTec, PSD Security Software, eDataSecurity, DragDropProtect (they will be some of the pink extensions) start with those first.

If none of those things are present, continue:

When Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) is misbehaving (especially when right clicking), start to suspect third party Explorer extension add-ons.  You may also see Data Execution Prevention (DEP) errors.  DEP errors are reported when Windows feels threatened by a program and Windows will shut down the threatening program.  Windows should never feel threatened by Windows Explorer (or Internet Explorer) unless some add-on is the cause.

Those would be Explorer extensions that do not belong to Microsoft.  That means extensions that you added.  Explorer extensions are usually okay and installing some applications will install Explorer extensions for you, give you a choice and sometimes they can be added without your knowledge when you install new software.

Explorer extensions are sometimes added as a new right click option you see on folders and files (like scan this file, open this file, play this song).

If there is a particular thing you do when Exploring that you know will cause the problem, that will help zero in on the problem and help you know for sure when you have found and fixed it.

If you can make it happen anytime you want, make an adjustment and then there is no message the next time you do whatever it is you do, you have found and fixed it.

First you need a way to see what Explorer add-ons you have installed now and a way to disable them (not uninstall them) so you can figure out which one is causing the problem.  You may have lots of non Microsoft extensions installed you don't even know about.

Download ShellExView from here to see which Explorer extensions you have loaded:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

ShellExView doesn't install anything on your computer, it just runs and displays.

After you launch ShellExView (double click shexview.exe) and acknowledge the security warning, adjust the column widths so you can see everything clearly.  Under Options, choose to "Mark Non-Microsoft Extensions" and the non Microsoft extensions will be in light pink, but on some systems that is a hard color to see, so click View, Choose Columns and move up or move down the Microsoft column so it is closer to the top (Move Up) so you can see it on your screen without having to scroll left and right.

Next, click the column header called Microsoft (it may be way out on the right side of the screen) to sort the display (by clicking the Microsoft column header) so all the non Microsoft extensions are at the top and easy to see.  They will say "No" and be marked in pink since they are not Microsoft extensions, something like this:

[attachment=197101:2.jpg]

The non Microsoft extensions would be things you have added (non Microsoft) and are what you need to be suspecting.

If you see extensions that do not have anything listed under Description, Product Name, Version, Company or have peculiar names that looks like they might be just random numbers and  letters, you might want to look at those first.

You can also Google the name of a suspicious add-on and see if there are any hits regarding Explorer crashes or DEP errors and what other people have done about it.

You might Google something like:

<my-suspicious-add-on>  windows explorer crashing

You have to fill in the name of your suspicious add on.

See what kind of search results hits you get and look for solutions or situations that sound like yours.

I am not a trial and error advocate, but I can't think of another way to do this...

Right click and disable the non Microsoft extensions one at a time (or perhaps in little groups of 3-5) keeping a list so you can enable them again later if desired. The result of the change is immediate and no reboot is required.  Test your (right click) failure condition.  If Explorer starts to act normally, you will know that some extension you just disabled in that group of 3-5 is the culprit so you can start to enable them one at a time until explorer fails again.

One user reported that there was a need to restart Explorer after each adjustment so to do that press Ctrl-E from within ShellExView.

If you recognize any extensions that may have been added or downloaded recently, start with those first.

Disabling an extension does not uninstall the extension - it is just disabled.  You can always enable it again later, so keep track of things by writing them down.

Disable them one at a time or in little groups (to make things go faster) until your right click does not generate an error, then reboot and test again to be sure.   That last extension you disabled would be the suspicious one.

You can also just disable all the non Microsoft extensions, reboot, test your failure condition and enable them one at a time until you find the one that generates the failure condition.

If you have a lot of extensions, you could disable them is little groups, 3-5 at a time instead of 1 at a time until your system starts to behave.  

When it does behave, you will know that the problem is one of the extensions in that little group and you can enable those in the group one at a time until the problem comes back, then the problem will be with the last extension you enabled.

The hope is that you will find the one extension that causes the problem and then you can figure out what to do about it - either uninstall it or see if you can get an update from the maker of the extension from their web page.

I don't have your issue but I can when you disable/enable the extensions, the extension is immediately disabled, so disabling an extension does not seem to require a reboot but if you think you found the problem, I would reboot and retest anyway to really be sure the problem is gone.

If you post up a list of your non Microsoft extensions, maybe someone will recognize it as a potential problem.

If you find the offending extension that is the problem, please let us know what it is so I can add it to my list!

Edited by joseibarra, 21 August 2017 - 04:13 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 Dian2

Dian2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back. Thank you Moderator  for your detailed writings an time.  I was trying to do few things according to various instructions from the forum and after that was able to work past on the computer. But I couldn’t solve the problem of savings documents on the CD and USB and taking time to start the computer. Yesterday, I installed MacAfee and did some scan. I also noticed after installation of MacAfee it takes ages to start the computer and showing messages such as windows not responding or do you want to end the process etc. In other word when computer starts, it freeze nearly 20 to 30 minutes. I cannot click any icon and if I click above messages are appearing on the screen.

In one occasion when MacAfee disappeared from the task bar all of Internet explorer, Opera and Mozilla Fire started to work fast.

Yesterday and today I waited nearly 30 minutes to start the computer and finally I started it using safe mode with networking. I am at the moment trying to solve the main problem of starting computer. 

#9 ilonggo

ilonggo

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

Hello, if you are in safe mode does the laptop still freezes?

Edited by ilonggo, 23 August 2017 - 11:58 PM.

#10 Dian2

Dian2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:18 AM

No ilonggo. It doesn't happen when it was in safe mode. I can surf the internet without any problems. Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2017 - 04:12 AM.

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

Did you not read my reply about Explorer crashing on Acer systems and if you did read it what did you find?

There are no various instructions to follow or things to try - only things to do.

If after installed McAfee on your system and now it performs poorly, I would bet the problem has something to do with McAfee - a known CPU and system resource hog.

If you have not followed the other instructions and after installing McAfee is Explorer still crashing?

McAfee would be the first thing to uninstall.

#12 Dian2

Dian2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:53 AM

Thank you so much joseibarra for your kind reply, detailed writings and  time. I really appreciate. At the moment my computer is doing well and didn't try saving a document yet. I have to check once I restart the computer whether it  is going to freeze again. So far so good.  

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2017 - 04:11 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:50 AM

Okay.

If your system takes 90 seconds to boot I think you will fix your Explorer crashing problem in about 3 minutes.

I'm pretty sure that McAfee will not help you with that problem and will probably make your system run poorly.

If your system is having performance problems (not responding, etc.) I would uninstall McAfee and if that leaves you with no AV protection consider installing something with a smaller footprint like Microsoft Security Essentials which you can download and install for the low low price of free:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download

Edited by joseibarra, 24 August 2017 - 05:40 AM.

#14 ilonggo

ilonggo

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:23 AM

No ilonggo. It doesn't happen when it was in safe mode. I can surf the internet without any problems. Thanks.

So, there were start-ups that causes the freeze. I would recommend to follow joseibarra's advise or you can try to disable all your start-ups and see if that solved the issue.

#15 Dian2

Dian2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

Today I went through trouble shooting. It seems like finally I can save or transfer a document. I have to recheck it again whether that job is doing well. I noticed MacAfee is making my computer slow.

For some reason I tried several occasions following couldn’t complete it as it stopped halfway. It verified up to 47%.

sfc /scannow 

Thanks and kind regards

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2017 - 03:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users