Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Home, lost admin account

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

A friend had a computer, which I have inherited. It has problems, but I can’t begin to diagnose and repair because I’ve lost the Admin Account. 

It’s a PC, tower. HP Pavilion Magnesium Grey Edition p6540y, originally with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad Core, 8 GB DDR3 RAM.

He upgraded to Windows 10 via free online download. The computer “has been fo<#ed up every since”, he told me. He got advice from a store, who told him there were problems with the Windows 10 download that cannot be repaired and his only option is to buy a new computer. So, he did.

He gave his old computer to me. 

First, connect to net. I couldn’t even get a WiFi signal. I finally concluded the built-in WiFi unit is either too weak or not working, so I installed a USB adapter and software and got online. I am not happy with the Win10 visual signal strength display; it’s almost non-existent.

Next, download some virus and ad-ware software and see what infections it has. Everything I tried to download; “Errors”. Download speeds were obviously very, very slow. I couldn’t get a speed or continuity test because I can’t download anything to do it with. Even updates fail. All download attempts ended in failure.

I decided to go ahead and change the User Accounts, to make it my computer. I’ve never messed with accounts as I’ve always preferred to have an open-to-anyone computer - No Passwords. So, I fiddled with it and finally made a User Account that was Administrator. Then I deleted the old administrator account. I also made a regular account with my first name. Then I logged out and changed to my name account. Some Belarc information is below that I just discovered.

I proceeded seeking a fix. After some tedium, I needed to log in as admin, and discovered that the new Administrator User Account (HomeGroupUser$) that I’d created didn’t seem to be there. It had disappeared. So, I tried everything below, to restore an Administrator Account to this computer. It has all been unsuccessful. 

I’ve even tried the Reset PC function, and discovered there is no way to do that without losing all Apps - including my Microsoft Works, which I’d really rather not lose. 

So, No Admin Account. That’s what I need help with. 

Steps to Enable the Built-in Administrator Account.
a) Press Windows + X, Select Run.
B) Type net user administrator /active:yes
c) Close the elevated command prompt.
d) The built-in Administrator will now be available to select to sign into.
e) Restart the system.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account: 
Go to Settings.
Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
Select Add an Account.
Enter a user name and hit Next.
Click on Finish.
Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
Check if issue persists.

I

I did everything above. I'm afraid the Built In Admin account is the one I deleted. In Accounts there is no Other User Accounts option. There is no Add An Account option except "Sign In With Microsoft Account Instead".... There is a list of options to the left, but the only one that seems to apply is Sign In Options and upon clicking that there are no options to switch accounts. As far as any of the information here, at Settings>Accounts, there is no Other Accounts.

Could you try this open commands prompt(admin)>winlogo +X>commands prompt (admin) then type NETPLWIZ take a screen picture and send it here

When I try to open Cmd Prompt (admin), there is no command like that. But there is Windows Power Shell (admin), but I get a popup box with “Do you want to allow this program to make changes to this computer”? But the only Reply Option offered is “No”. The “Yes” option is completely absent (as opposed to greyed out).

Tried running sfc/scannow from Command Proprompt. Results below

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
© 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mike>sfc/scannow

You must be an administrator running a console session in order to
use the sfc utility.

The only other option Microsoft is offering is below. I do not have a bootable Windows 10 disk (I do have a Windows 7 disk, however.) And the original problem is I can’t download anything at all (even updates fail). 

So I’m wondering if anyone here can think of any other options to restore admin account?

Below is the final Microsoft suggestion that I found. I have not done this because I don’t have a bootable Win10.

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.
Please be informed that you may not be able to recover the deleted account. But you can enable Built in Administrator account to create a new Administrator account.
I would suggest you create Windows 10 bootable media using the ISO image and follow the steps. This is a lengthy process kindly be patient.
1. Boot from Windows 10 bootable CD/DVD or USB.
2. When the install now screen shows up click on Repair your computer > Advanced Options >Troubleshoot > Command Prompt.
3. Once you can boot into the command prompt, type "net user administrator /active:yes"
and click Enter. This will activate hidden administrator account.
4. Now, close command prompt and remove installation media. Boot back to Windows 10 normal mode and sign in to Administrator account. You do not need a password for hidden admin account.
5. Create a new administrator account from the admin account. 
6. Once you created a new account (Steps to create new account will be provided in the end), sign out of the hidden admin account and then boot into the newly created account.
7. When you have successfully signed into the new account, copy all the files from the following path c:/Users/Forgotten_Account_Name to a secure path. 
8. Now, you can disable the hidden admin account and use the new account.
9. To disable hidden admin account press Windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin).
10. In the Elevated Command prompt, type "net user administrator /active:no"
and click Enter. This will disable hidden administrator account. 
You can now use the newly created admin account to login to the system.
To create a new test user account follow the steps below:
Right click on the Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
Type net user NewAccount password /add and click Enter.
Type net localgroup Administrators NewAccount /add and click Enter.
Log off from the system and login to the new user account.
If your start menu and other applications work fine then you can transfer all your data to the new account.
Remember your new account name is "NewAccount" and its password is "password" as mentioned in the commands.
Reference: Refer to the following Wiki article created by Andre Da Costa on How to: Create a bootable ISO file from your Windows 10 Download for reinstallation.

So my question is does anyone know of anything else I can try to restore my computer’s administrator account? The Belarc Advisor shows that the account I added Admin rights to is still there and Active. It’s the HomeGroupUser$ account. But it’s not showing up in any of the normal places, like log-on after reboot, or in settings/accounts. If I could find and log on to that account, my problem would be solved, I guess???

Thanks for you help.

Belarc Advisor:

Local User Accounts ----------Last Log In----------Time

Don                              8-20-17                    9:20

Local System Accounts--------Last Log In----------Time

*Administrator             10-03-14                  11:22

*Default Account         never                        …….

Guest                           8-20-17                    9:20

HomeGroupUser$       never                        …….          

* Denotes disabled account.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

At this point it would be quick and easy to just reinstall Windows 10 from scratch;

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

Yes a clean install would be the easiest, and since it's already had 10 on it you can just download the win10 image from microsoft's website and re-install the OS.

#4 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Yes, I've thought about that. But this computer has microsoft works, and I'd lose that. Right?

Of course, that's a price I'll pay, if I have to. I write a lot and didn't want to lose it though. Thanks for the input. I'll probably do as you suggest.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Try Softmaker FreeOffice as an alternative. You may need to convert your Works files though. What extension are your Works documents?

http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

Libre Office, also free

https://www.libreoffice.org/

#6 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

.wps is the extention. I don't much about extentions, that's just what it defaults to.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

I'm not sure Libre Office would open a WPS file. It can open a Works WKS spreadsheet file though. You may need to open each of your WPS files and save them as a .DOC file if possible otherwise you are going to need to download Works 9.

#8 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

Okay. Thanks.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Yes, I've thought about that. But this computer has microsoft works, and I'd lose that. Right?

Of course, that's a price I'll pay, if I have to. I write a lot and didn't want to lose it though. Thanks for the input. I'll probably do as you suggest.

Put that on a zip drive and then reinstall it when you are done.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Hi, since the creators update the win + x keys open a powershell option not a cmd prompt option (this can be changed in pc settings, back to command prompt). Thats why you had problems from your first post.

You need to open an elevated command prompt. To do this go to search and type command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open (the header will say administrator) at this run the cmd from your first post:-

net user administrator /active:yes (press enter) Restart and select this user, Admin (default diagnostic administrator account). From here follow the rest of the instructions from your first post to create a new user account, let us know how you get on, it will be necessary to disable the special Admin account when finished, to do so repeat the procedure this time type:- net user administrator /active:no

#11 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

"....'run as administrator' an elevated cmd prompt will open..."

Tried that. And just tried again. When I right click run as admin, I get the pop up window that states "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to this computer?" The only answer allowed is "NO". The "Yes" option that would normally be there, is completely missing. So that's where that ends. No matter what I do, I can't get to any fort of admin account without already being an administrator.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Tried that. And just tried again. When I right click run as admin, I get the pop up window that states "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to this computer?" The only answer allowed is "NO". The "Yes" option that would normally be there, is completely missing. So that's where that ends. No matter what I do, I can't get to any fort of admin account without already being an administrator.

Have you done the clean install yet?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

I  guess the creator updated destroyed your Windows 10.
More and more people start to complain about this issue and Microsoft doesn't seem to be interested in fixing it.
They are amending clean re-install of Windows.
Since this is not a great option for everyone I was playing around and found some solution.
You need a working Windows 10 pc with no issues.
Got to user folder and archive the Default folder in there.
On the PC with the issues, you can rename the Default folder as .old and then copy and unzip the Default folder from the working Windows.
Once you do that you need to create a new administrator account (if you have permissions).
In case you do not have permission please try using -->http://www.chntpw.com/download/ and unlocking the first local administrator account.
If you meet any difficulties creating bootable CD/USB please let me know I`ll be happy to help you further.
Many thanks,
Andy 

#14 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:36 PM

that solution is certainly something I never thought of. Thank you. I got completely involved with another computer. I was having problems trying to burn an iso so I could just do a fresh install on the problem Win10 machine. Finally I figured out why I was getting errors during burn and achieved success. So, I've installed it. I hated losing certain things, but it sure is nice how smoothly this Windows 10 is working.

Thank you very much for your help; John, Jenae, Rocky and Andy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users