Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
- - - - -

How to fix a 'black screen' (video output 'no-show') in GuvcView in Puppy...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

Evening, everyone.. 

Just a quick little fix for y'all. 

For those of us who use GuvcView in Puppy, for recording clips, taking snaps, etc., some of you may find (like I did, after installing PulseAudio for sound to work in the old 4.3 Skype client), that although your cam works fine in Skype itself, you now only get a black display when you go to use GuvcView. The window header shows the frame rate, as much as to let you know it is working......but you can't actually see anything! 8vRlxTe.gif

You'll also find that repeated attempts at restarting, even from the terminal, coupled with deleting the 'hidden' .guvcview directory in /root, won't fix the problem. 

Fear not! There is a quick'n'easy 'fix', which appears to hold throughout multiple re-boots. 

The original terminal output made repeated references to a 'symbol lookup error' involving libpulse. I've removed PulseAudio from the Pup in question (Tahr 6.05, in this instance), since I've given up on Skype, with the 4.3 client now being deprecated. 

But even that didn't help. 

----------------------------------------------- 

I decided it was time I did summat about it, since it's been like this for quite some time now. There's very little in the way of reference material for guvcview itself, but browsing finally threw up a YouTube video, detailing the problem in Kali Linux.....in Russian, of all things! 

However, the solution was quite clearly shown on the screen. 

Open good old Urxvt, and type in the following:- 

guvcview -r 2

.....and hit 'Enter. Guvcview will now start, and.....hey presto! Your display should now be back. 

I'm guessing this somehow 'resets' the app in some way. I couldn't understand a word of what the guy was rabbiting on about, obviously.....but this appears to do the trick. More importantly, it holds throughout subsequent re-boots, too.  :) 

Hope that may perhaps help some of you. I've since fixed the same problem in a couple of other Pups, too.....and I'm thinking this will probably work for GuvcView running in most other Linux distros, as well.

Mike.
  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 August 2017 - 11:13 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users