Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NordVPN says I should uninstall tap drivers - is it safe?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

A few months ago, after a new NordVPN update, I could no longer connect to their servers. Their customer service said I should locate all my TAP adapters/drivers and uninstall them. Then install their "NordVPNTapSetup.exe". After I did that, everything worked again.

Since then, I have resetted my laptop, installed KTS 2017 and Malwarebytes 3.1.2 Premium. NordVPN doesn't work again.

Is it safe to uninstall tap drivers and download their NordVPNTapSetup.exe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

1. Install Windscribe

2. Enter 50GBFREE coupon

3. 50GB / month free

I don't know about Nord, though.

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 20 August 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

Yes it is safe. It is just a virtual adapter that will communicate directly with their network.

NordVPN on the other hand may continuously leak IPV6 data and doesn't have the best track record. You may choose to move to another VPN if you really value your privacy.

#4 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Yes it is safe. It is just a virtual adapter that will communicate directly with their network.

NordVPN on the other hand may continuously leak IPV6 data and doesn't have the best track record. You may choose to move to another VPN if you really value your privacy.

Thanks for the tip. I read up a bit on IPV6.

How can I find a good VPN provider? When I chose to go with NordVPN, I had read lots of articles. Since I don't know about the technical stuff, it's hard to make a good decision.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

Finding a good VPN provider is a bit of a moving feast. The main things that I look for

• no logs kept
  • 100% track record of not handing over data
  • overseas servers in "non-cooperative" countries
  • passed security audits again and again

I've been with PIA for a few years. Sadly they had a bit of a bad run with service reliability for a while, but all seems to be well again now.

There's many sites that will review VPN's. When reading them I suggest you stay away from any that have affiliate links, and look out for ones that have more in depth reviews about security and track record.

I wish there was a simple answer.

#6 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:13 AM

I did the "check IP" on perfect-privacy.com.

Whether I am connected to NordVPN or no VPN whatsoever, both of the times it says "You do not seem to have IPv6 connectivity".

Does this mean, that in my case I do not need to worry about IPv6 leaks as I seemingly do not have a IPv6?

I did some research on NordVPN. Would you say that despite its track record, using NordVPN is still better than no VPN at all? Basically I still have some months left of it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users